Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2010 macbook pro will not startup

Gets stuck on Apple logo gray screen with status bar that eventually progresses all the way but even after many hours does not finish startup. I can not bypass by holding down shift key or option key to get into recovery mode or to start up from external. 2010 macbook pro newly running el capitan. After upgrade it was continually telling me I lacked permissions to access various files and asking for my password even though I was signed in as administrator. A post on this forum suggested repairing permissions, so I did and now the computer will not finish startup.

MacBook Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11.3)

Posted on Feb 7, 2016 8:54 AM

28 replies

Feb 7, 2016 10:47 AM in response to Ravenspeak

Start with SMC and NVRAM resets:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204063

Then try a Safe boot;

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262

If no change, take out the internal HDD and install it in an enclosure. Connect it to the MBP and see if it will boot it:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204417

If it does, then there is a problem with the internal connection. Usually the SATA cable. Replace it.

Ciao.

Feb 7, 2016 11:20 AM in response to OGELTHORPE

I attempted the resets- no second chime and reboot. so I am guessing reset did not work

i attempted safe boot again anyway, even though I said it did not work in original post, still does not work

I opened the computer first time ever and took out drive, mounted it in external, put new drive internal (no operating system) no change, and, as pointed out in original post, pushing any key combinations after chime has no effect, so I can not select external to start from.

Since it starts from that drive neither as an external nor as an internal it seems the sata cable is not the culprit.

I will restate: started up fine, updated el capitan, got asked for my password every time I moved a file, it was suggested that I had permission issues and I followed directions to set permissions to read and write. Upon restart gray screen only, etc. Seems very unlikely at that exact instant a cable inside wore out.

How can I get time machine to restore to either the new hard drive I just put in or the old one that I can put back in if the computer will not allow me to select a drive to start from?

Feb 7, 2016 11:33 AM in response to Ravenspeak

Ravenspeak wrote:

I opened the computer first time ever and took out drive, mounted it in external, put new drive internal (no operating system) no change, and, as pointed out in original post, pushing any key combinations after chime has no effect, so I can not select external to start from.

Since it starts from that drive neither as an external nor as an internal it seems the sata cable is not the culprit.

When you took out the HDD from the MBP, there was no reason to install a different HDD in the MBP. Did you start up the MBP holding down the OPTION key? Did a HDD icon(s) appear? If so, how many? What were they called? I assume that you clicked on them and nothing happened?

Ciao.

Feb 7, 2016 11:56 AM in response to OGELTHORPE

yes I started up holding down option key, no an icon did not appear, I did not click on them because none appeared. As I said, holding down any key combination at startup does nothing, no menu to select a volume from, no change in the gray screen, no second chime.

I put a new hard drive in that bay because one thread suggested a new disc would prompt you to select restore from time machine as an option. It did not. Same issue with startup disc internal, with startup disc external, with empty disk internal and external with the startup disc in it not connected to the computer.

Feb 7, 2016 12:05 PM in response to Ravenspeak

Install the HDD with the OSX installed.

Use the original Snow Leopard installation disk that came with your MBP.

Boot the MBP holding down the C key. If successful, after language selection there should be a menu bar on top of the display.

Click on Utilities.

From the drop down menu, select Disk Utility.

Run Disk Utility>First Aid, Verify and repair.

If the disk cannot be repaired, it will have to be replaced.

Ciao.

Feb 7, 2016 12:16 PM in response to OGELTHORPE

To restate, I cannot get any response to any key combination, including holding down c key. There is no menu to select from, I cannot select disk utility, I can not run First Aid.

I have already replaced the disc with a new one, (remember you said there was no reason to do that)

I can not format a disc with snow leopard on the computer I am now using, (G5) because snow leopard is not supported and leopard (what the G5 is running) is not supported on the macbook

Feb 7, 2016 12:57 PM in response to Ravenspeak

You are saying that none of the key commands work? You cannot use the G5 to do much of anything for the MBP. Even Command R does not work? If you have any kind of a viable hard drive. Then when attached to an external drive enclosure and holding down the option key, you should see a volume, ether the startup volume or the recovery volume. Or both.

2010 macbook pro will not startup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.