Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I compress .mov file

Hi Folks,

I used my iPhone to video an interview.

I then wanted to upload it to Google Drive as I use the Classroom space. When I tried to use cloud convert it said that the file is 2GB and is too large to convert.

I am not sure what to do. Is there anyone out here who could help??

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Feb 7, 2016 10:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 8, 2016 8:33 AM

video in general is highly compressed. So, 'zipping' for example has little to no effect.

If file size is an issue, the only options to reduce size are:

• make it shorter / split it into individual segments
  • reduce resolution, fullHD is 1080, DVD was 480 … 320x240? …
  • reduce frame-rate - 'talking heads' work with 15fps too, need no 30…
  • reduce bit-rate - amount of data per second: low bitrate=low quality=low file size

Most recommended, reliable, free, very handy and powerful tool is MpegStreamclip, which allows to open any iMovie export, and adjust the forementioned parameters.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 8, 2016 8:33 AM in response to Keeffy

video in general is highly compressed. So, 'zipping' for example has little to no effect.

If file size is an issue, the only options to reduce size are:

• make it shorter / split it into individual segments
  • reduce resolution, fullHD is 1080, DVD was 480 … 320x240? …
  • reduce frame-rate - 'talking heads' work with 15fps too, need no 30…
  • reduce bit-rate - amount of data per second: low bitrate=low quality=low file size

Most recommended, reliable, free, very handy and powerful tool is MpegStreamclip, which allows to open any iMovie export, and adjust the forementioned parameters.

Feb 9, 2016 3:32 AM in response to Keeffy

Keeffy wrote:

…Delighted to become aware of MpegStreamclip This is very helpful.

You're Welcome! 🙂

MSC is one of the classics and All Time Favorite for video on Macs.

Some call it Poor Man's Compressor (the professional converter tool from Apple)

If Stefano, the maker, would have asked for just 99¢ per DL, he would be a very, very rich man.

For me, best freeware ever …

Feb 12, 2016 4:51 AM in response to Karsten Schlüter

Karsten Schlüter wrote:

Some call it Poor Man's Compressor (the professional converter tool from Apple)

If Stefano, the maker, would have asked for just 99¢ per DL, he would be a very, very rich man.

For me, best freeware ever …

Yes…on both counts.

For the longest time, Streamclip was the go-to solution for Compressor users who might need an H.264 MP4 output file. It was also faster than Compressor, unless your system was set up for distributed rendering (and/or a quick cluster). Thankfully, Compressor has come a long way in the past several years – both in its range of encoding options and in in speed (now, very quick). However, Streamclip is still my friend for certain occasions.

Karsten, nice job on your responses to the OP…even AR-worthy. Oh, wait. 😉

Russ

How can I compress .mov file

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.