Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keyboard Input Problem

My iMac has recently developed an intermittent fault when using the keyboard for typing. When it occurs it takes several seconds to put each character on the screen and options for the letter typed are offered (see screenshot below).

User uploaded file

Typing beyond the letter in question and the system goes haywire with no response to what was actually typed and there is a background beeping as thought the system is trying to catchup, other keyboard commands such as backspace are also mis interpreted. I can't identify any particular trigger for the problem, a virus checker is showing no virus and a reboot corrects the problem.

Many thanks for any help.

iMac with Retina 5K display, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Feb 7, 2016 9:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 7, 2016 10:51 AM

Reset the SMC and PRAM (maybe needed 2-3 times) per the instructions in Intel iMac SMC and PRAM resets

28 replies

Feb 7, 2016 11:34 AM in response to traveller221

Those are accented characters and as such are normal if you hold down keys…

How to type accents, emoji, and symbols on your Mac - Apple Support

The question is are you holding down keys on the keyboard? If not the OS or keyboard may be having issues. The escape key should close that dialog.

if you really are running OS 10.7.3 you should apply some updates, 10.7 has some bug fixes since that version (or remove the version from your profile - it is often outdated). Edit it via you profile page…traveller221

Feb 9, 2016 4:54 PM in response to IlliniBird

IlliniBird wrote:

Not yet. Truthfully, I'm a little scared to do this.

Scared to do what?

The PRAM reset is an Apple created method to reset some very basic settings. The only time it causes issue is when your hardware is failing - in which case there are broader issues. It is practically harmless & is recommended by Apple for certain issues.

Personally I think you need to clarify that you are not just holding down keys, that causes this popup unless you turn the feature off as linked by Tom Gewecke.

Keyboard Input Problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.