Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

why cant i download itunes on my computer vista

Cloud and Match

Posted on Feb 7, 2016 9:28 AM

2 replies

Feb 7, 2016 10:33 AM in response to rodfromheddfan

Support for Windows Vista (and XP) was dropped when Apple released iTunes 12.2 last year. The latest (and almost certainly last) version to support Vista is 12.1.3.6 - this is an out-of-sequence release from September 2015 that adds support for iOS 9 devices but lacks Apple Music and other features added in iTunes 12.2 and 12.3. Links to the installers:

The last of these is actually (like all "64-bit" editions of iTunes prior to 12.1.2) the 32-bit application with a 64-bit installer - this should be used if you get a warning message about video card incompatibility and may also address issues with poor audio playback, integration with 3rd party software, and general stability of iTunes.

Note also that no version of iTunes since 11.1.4 has been fully compatible with Vista; all subsequent versions consistently generate Data Execution Prevention errors on exit. Since Vista is just a little more than a year away from complete withdrawal of support by Microsoft, you really should be thinking about replacing your computer or updating it to a more recent edition of Windows. If you want to make use of Apple Music you will have to upgrade to Windows 7 or later.

Feb 7, 2016 3:43 PM in response to rodfromheddfan

rodfromheddfan wrote:

Vista user here. Because Apple barely knows anything about Windows and no longer even tries to support Vista. You may have been confused and frustrated by this message at the iTunes download page:

User uploaded file

The download page is smart enough to tell we are running Vista, but not smart enough to prevent us from downloading an incompatible version, give us 12.1.3 instead, or even display a valid message (there is no "iTunes 12.3.2 for Windows XP, Vista"). If you still have an iPad, and if it has been updated to iOS 9, then version 12.1.3 is the only version you should even consider installing, as hhgttg27 has pointed out. BTW the last version of iTunes that did not cause problem reports on Vista was actually 11.1.5, which I am running right now. It was released two years ago, and would be useless for supporting devices running iOS 8 or 9 - but fortunately I do not own any of those infernal gadgets!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.