Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

trying to update iPhoto--This update is not available for this Apple ID either because it was bought by a different user or the item was returned or cancelled

in trying to update the iphoto

"This update is not available for this Apple ID either because it was bought by a different user or the item was returned or cancelled

Posted on Feb 7, 2016 10:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 7, 2016 10:36 AM

With the release of El Capitan comes Photos that replaces iPhoto. The following may be of help to you.

Terence Devlin

Apr 14, 2015 2:21 PM

Re: Is Iphoto gone ? i want it back!

Go to the App Store and check out the Purchases List. If iPhoto is there then it will be v9.6.1

If it is there, then drag your existing iPhoto app (not the library, just the app) to the trash

Install the App from the App Store.

Sometimes iPhoto is not visible on the Purchases List. it may be hidden. See this article for details on how to unhide it.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4928

One question often asked: Will I lose my Photos if I reinstall?

iPhoto the application and the iPhoto Library are two different parts of the iPhoto programme. So, reinstalling the app should not affect the Library. BUT you should always have a back up before doing this kind of work. Always.

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 7, 2016 10:36 AM in response to maryearp

With the release of El Capitan comes Photos that replaces iPhoto. The following may be of help to you.

Terence Devlin

Apr 14, 2015 2:21 PM

Re: Is Iphoto gone ? i want it back!

Go to the App Store and check out the Purchases List. If iPhoto is there then it will be v9.6.1

If it is there, then drag your existing iPhoto app (not the library, just the app) to the trash

Install the App from the App Store.

Sometimes iPhoto is not visible on the Purchases List. it may be hidden. See this article for details on how to unhide it.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4928

One question often asked: Will I lose my Photos if I reinstall?

iPhoto the application and the iPhoto Library are two different parts of the iPhoto programme. So, reinstalling the app should not affect the Library. BUT you should always have a back up before doing this kind of work. Always.

Feb 7, 2016 12:55 PM in response to maryearp

"This update is not available for this Apple ID either because it was bought by a different user or the item was returned or cancelled

You will be seeing this alert, if you are trying to update a version of iPhoto that is not associated with your AppleID at the AppStore.

This might be a version of iPhoto bought on an iLife DVD, or installed from a system install DVD, if your Mac did not come with MAcOS X 10,7 Lion or later.

You cannot update iPhoto at all any longer to the versions, that are not available from the downloads page. Apple stopped selling iPhoto and you can now only update by reinstalling an App Store version you already own.This will install iPhoto 9.6.1, if your system can run it.

The procedure that Kappy outlined is the only way to update iPhoto to iPhoto 9.6.1.

Feb 8, 2016 4:56 PM in response to Yer_Man

I'm not trying to update, only get rid of the iPhoto 9.6.1 update that the App Store keeps listed in my Updates section. Every time I try to complete the update, it fails with the subject error message. As I previously mentioned, I've tried numerous solutions, but none have worked, so I guess I'll just have to turn it over to the App Store Support people, and see if they can get rid of it for me.

Feb 9, 2016 12:09 AM in response to rbygrave

As I previously mentioned, I've tried numerous solutions, but none have worked,

It would help, if you told us what you already tried, so we do not keep suggesting things, that you know did not work. 😁

The AppStore will show you the update, as long as Spotlight sees iPhoto as installed. Have you removed all copies of iPhoto from your mac (and all connected drives), and then restarted the Mac? Sometimes we need to rebuilt the Spotlight Index.

Jul 8, 2016 3:11 AM in response to maryearp

Hi,

I don't have any problems with iPhotos but with my Apple ID in spite of that I've purchased my computer September 2011 in Canada. Apple Store refuses my Apple ID with the following statement:

"Update unavailable with this Apple ID either because it was bought by a different user or the item was refunded or cancelled". I don't want to loose my 104 Euro. That's the story.

Please help.

Jul 8, 2016 3:53 AM in response to cnacsin

Which version of iPhoto are you trying to update to?

Apple stopped selling iPhoto, so there are no updates available at all any more from the AppStore. You can only reinstall iPhoto to update to iPhoto 9.6.1 and to be compatible with El Capitan.

And reinstalling iPhoto from the AppStore will only work, if you have an AppStore version of iPhoto and not the bundled iLife installer CD versions.

See Barney's user tip on how to update by reinstalling:

Can't Update iPhoto because it is not available in the App Store.

Jul 8, 2016 9:53 AM in response to maryearp

Same problem. Now I can't even open iPhoto.

I have to say... This is such a bunch of crap. I didn't happen to update my iPhoto through the App Store specifically so I can't use it? What are we supposed to do? I'm seeing only one work around -- the one that works if you had updated through the App Store before. What do the rest of us do? I don't even see this new "Photos" program in the App Store. Am I supposed to purchase some other program? Anyone have a solution for those of us who didn't happen to update iPhoto via the App Store before updating to OS X?

Jul 8, 2016 10:01 AM in response to clinkie

If you never updated iPhoto thru the App Store your only option is to upgrade to El Capitan and use Photos.

The new Photos app is installed when you install El Capitan. It's part of the system now. Usually after upgrading to EC the Photos app is added to the Dock and the iPhoto app is removed from the Dock but is still in the Applications folder.

User uploaded file

Jul 8, 2016 10:09 AM in response to clinkie

I don't even see this new "Photos" program in the App Store. Am I supposed to purchase some other program? Anyone have a solution for those of us who didn't happen to update iPhoto via the App Store before updating to OS X?

Photos for Mac is part of the operating system and installed automatically if you update your Mac to OS X 10.10.3 or a newer version.

Look for the rainbow flower icon in your Dock or on the LaunchPad. That is the new Photos for Mac application.

User uploaded file

trying to update iPhoto--This update is not available for this Apple ID either because it was bought by a different user or the item was returned or cancelled

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.