Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Touch ID doesn't work on iPhone 5s

1. Can't activate Touch-ID since September 2015. In the meantime Touch-ID activated from itself for a few days and then suddenly it doesn't work further. In the small working time all my originally saved fingerprints were working. I already called the apple support, but they say to me, that this has to be solved with a full recovery of iOS. I tried too all suggested solutions from: Touch ID auf dem iPhone und iPad verwenden - Apple Support without any success. The iphone 5s is still working in good condition, but without touch id. The apple care warranty is over, so probably i have to pay the switch of the touch id sensor by myself. I already looked out for some certified apple partners for the repair cost of a switch of touch ID - the cost lies at approximately 70,00€. No we can come to the crux of the problem: the iphone 5s costs about 600,00 € and now there is no possibility to repair the home button/touch id by myself. I have to pay at a minimum 70,00€ to let repair my iphone 5s from a certified partner or send it directly to apple and will see, how much more than 70,00€ it will costs to let repair them my iphone 5s. Now i was searching for a free apple support after two years "german warranty". In germany are two warrantys: the first is one year of apple care warranty and the second is at the same time a "two year german warranty" from the lawgiver. In september 2015 I had to apply for an exception, because the german support has no free support cases after the end of one year apple care, although we have a second german two year warranty, but that doesn't matter for apple. It is incredible for me personally why a company such like apple as the world market leader in many digital sectors, has the need to fleeced his customers with such a very bad price policy.

2. I can't repair the touch-id sensor by myself, because the sensor is connected to the mainboard of the iphone 5s (like iphone 6/6s too). Some people have after the switch of the home button the failure 53 and a not working iphone 5s/6/6s with ios 9. For the fix binding of the connection between the touch id sensor and the iphone mainboard apple give as reason a anti theft security. If somebody stole your iphone and connect to the iphone a new touch id sensor, to get on your personal data. I don't know how professional the hacker/stealer must be, to switch the touch id sensor on the stolen iphone to get in your personal data, but that risk case is such improbable, that i can't believe that this is the true reason for this binding. Furthermore after the first start of an turned off iphone, it is necessary to identify itself with the passcode - touch id is deactivated.

3. To open a support case at the apple support hotline does cost 29,00€ for nothing in the first place.

4. If in this case there's is no possibility to fix this by myself, the iphone 5s is my last apple product.

5. There is no german apple support forum.

6. There is no possibility to reach apple support for free only via email, to leave there some questions. Every other IT company i know in the consumer sector, no matter which technical division, has a free contact email support.

iPhone 5s, iOS 9.2.1

Posted on Feb 7, 2016 10:55 AM

4 replies

Feb 7, 2016 11:04 AM in response to renesewo

renesewo wrote:

1. Can't activate Touch-ID since September 2015. In the meantime Touch-ID activated from itself for a few days and then suddenly it doesn't work further. In the small working time all my originally saved fingerprints were working. I already called the apple support, but they say to me, that this has to be solved with a full recovery of iOS. I tried too all suggested solutions from: Touch ID auf dem iPhone und iPad verwenden - Apple Support without any success. The iphone 5s is still working in good condition, but without touch id. The apple care warranty is over, so probably i have to pay the switch of the touch id sensor by myself. I already looked out for some certified apple partners for the repair cost of a switch of touch ID - the cost lies at approximately 70,00€. No we can come to the crux of the problem: the iphone 5s costs about 600,00 € and now there is no possibility to repair the home button/touch id by myself. I have to pay at a minimum 70,00€ to let repair my iphone 5s from a certified partner or send it directly to apple and will see, how much more than 70,00€ it will costs to let repair them my iphone 5s. Now i was searching for a free apple support after two years "german warranty". In germany are two warrantys: the first is one year of apple care warranty and the second is at the same time a "two year german warranty" from the lawgiver. In september 2015 I had to apply for an exception, because the german support has no free support cases after the end of one year apple care, although we have a second german two year warranty, but that doesn't matter for apple. It is incredible for me personally why a company such like apple as the world market leader in many digital sectors, has the need to fleeced his customers with such a very bad price policy.

2. I can't repair the touch-id sensor by myself, because the sensor is connected to the mainboard of the iphone 5s (like iphone 6/6s too). Some people have after the switch of the home button the failure 53 and a not working iphone 5s/6/6s with ios 9. For the fix binding of the connection between the touch id sensor and the iphone mainboard apple give as reason a anti theft security. If somebody stole your iphone and connect to the iphone a new touch id sensor, to get on your personal data. I don't know how professional the hacker/stealer must be, to switch the touch id sensor on the stolen iphone to get in your personal data, but that risk case is such improbable, that i can't believe that this is the true reason for this binding. Furthermore after the first start of an turned off iphone, it is necessary to identify itself with the passcode - touch id is deactivated.

3. To open a support case at the apple support hotline does cost 29,00€ for nothing in the first place.

4. If in this case there's is no possibility to fix this by myself, the iphone 5s is my last apple product.

5. There is no german apple support forum.

6. There is no possibility to reach apple support for free only via email, to leave there some questions. Every other IT company i know in the consumer sector, no matter which technical division, has a free contact email support.

Cool story bro. Now, do you have a technical question? You're not talking to Apple, so these threats about 'the iPhone 5s is my last apple product' are essentially pointless.

This is a user-to-user technical assistance forum. So, what, exactly, are you expecting your fellow users to do for you today, mein Freund?

Feb 7, 2016 11:25 AM in response to TJBUSMC1973

Cool story bro. Now, do you have a technical question? You're not talking to Apple, so these threats about 'the iPhone 5s is my last apple product' are essentially pointless.

This is a user-to-user technical assistance forum. So, what, exactly, are you expecting your fellow users to do for you today, mein Freund?

The question is: how can I change the home-button (touch-id sensor) by myself without getting a failure 53 or a non working touch-id/iphone 5s? 😉

Dein Freund!

Feb 7, 2016 11:39 AM in response to renesewo

You can't. Apple does NOT provide user-serviceable parts to anyone, other than Apple Retail Stores or Apple Authorized Service Providers. Anyone that claims to have one for sale is either lying, or has a salvaged part, a stolen part or a counterfeit part. I know 147,10 € seems like a lot (Apple - Support - Service Answer Center), but it's far less than the cost of a whole new iPhone 5S (554,94 €).

There's an English phrase: pennywise, but pound foolish. It sort of applies here. By trying to 'penny pinch' now, you could end up costing yourself a lot more money in the long run. Let's say you found someplace that would replace your button for 50,00 €. Great deal, saves you some money. But that 47,10 you save today will be spent again later when your device has some form of failure, especially one that Apple might have fixed for free, but you cannot get the free fix because you violated the warranty. And so, that 47,10 € you saved now is used towards the 554,94 you have to spend to replace the device with a new one.

Do you properly & regularly perform maintenance on your automobile? Wouldn't it be better if you could get someone to do it for a lot less and for 20% of the normal cost? Of course, that means they'd have to use substandard parts, and you might end up having to buy a whole new car in a few years instead of 15 years down the road. But you're saving money NOW, and isn't that REALLY what matters?

Pennywise. Pound foolish.

Don't do it.

If it's important to you, then spend the money the right way to take care of it. Whether that's your iPhone, your car or your health, there are certain things you don't skimp on and try to be cheap.

For me, it's cheese. I can't stand regular store-brands, I like the good stuff. So I pay a little more for it.

If I'm willing to pay a little more for my cheese, then just man up and pay a little more for authorized service on your iPhone.

Touch ID doesn't work on iPhone 5s

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.