Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bought used Mac - no iApps for free?

Hey everyone,

my question might be dumb, so I apologize in advance but if I buy a used Mac I won't get apps like iMovie etc for free?

Thank you for explanation or instructions to resolve my problem.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X El Capitan (10.11.3)

Posted on Feb 7, 2016 11:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 7, 2016 11:56 AM

Correct. You must buy your applications under your Apple ID from the App Store. If you buy a used computer the first thing you should do is wipe the drive and reinstall whatever OS X was pre-installed when the computer was new. This might require an Network Recovery or the use of installer discs that should be provided by the seller, depending on the particular model you purchased.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 7, 2016 11:56 AM in response to cernykafe

Correct. You must buy your applications under your Apple ID from the App Store. If you buy a used computer the first thing you should do is wipe the drive and reinstall whatever OS X was pre-installed when the computer was new. This might require an Network Recovery or the use of installer discs that should be provided by the seller, depending on the particular model you purchased.

Bought used Mac - no iApps for free?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.