Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to delete OS X Base System?

I use a MBP 13' Retina Display and over the past two years an a huge chuck of my computer's storage is being occupied by "OS X Base System". I tried deleting it while reinstalling the OS X, but it can't be unmounted or deleted for that matter.

Can anyone help?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X El Capitan (10.11.3)

Posted on Feb 7, 2016 11:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 7, 2016 11:30 AM

How does it appear? Typically, it will be an indented entry below an out-dented one. Select the top one CTRL- or RIGHT-click and select the option to remove or unmount it. If this doesn't work on the out-dented entry then try again on the indented entry. One of the two will remove it.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 7, 2016 11:30 AM in response to SebNazary

How does it appear? Typically, it will be an indented entry below an out-dented one. Select the top one CTRL- or RIGHT-click and select the option to remove or unmount it. If this doesn't work on the out-dented entry then try again on the indented entry. One of the two will remove it.

Feb 7, 2016 11:56 AM in response to SebNazary

OSX Base System is part of the OS X installer. Typically it is inside the Application package that installs OS X & is not normally visible. If you have followed guides on the web to create a USB install disk it may have copied it to another location, which you may be able to delete safely.

Please explain exactly where you are seeing this item, the OS Base System installs many tools, which you need to avoid removing. If you have a file path post that info here (try 'reveal in Finder' via a right click if Disk Utility will do that). If you remove it from a valid installer inside the Applications folder it will simply damage it & require you to redownload the installer.

The disk image will still use disk space even when 'unmounted', you have to delete the disk image to reclaim the storage.

How to delete OS X Base System?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.