Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I drop my iphone in a cup of tea and now wont turn on, how do i fix this

I drop my iPhone in a cup of tea and now won't turn on, how do I fix this

Posted on Feb 7, 2016 12:09 PM

513 replies

Feb 8, 2016 10:46 AM in response to Ossalv16

You have a few options here.

1. If your only concern is to have a working phone and cost is not a factor, then your best option would be to have Apple replace the device under their out of warranty replacement program.

2. If, however, your data is important then you'll need to pursue a 3rd party who specializes in liquid damage data recovery.

3. Take it to a local 3rd party repair shop to have it diagnosed. Often liquid damaged devices can be easily repaired by replacing a few parts or a simple cleaning. It is important to find a place that will remove the EMI shields on the logic board and properly clean the entire board though. Often these places will not charge for the time it takes to look at and diagnose the phone and if repair is possible it will be much cheaper than replacing the entire phone

Repairing a liquid damaged device for the sake of the device is always a gamble though, and I'd recommend the first option for long term reliability, the second option if your data is the most important factor, and the 3rd option if you can't afford the first.

Feb 9, 2016 10:58 PM in response to Ossalv16

I have been doing phone repair for 14 years and even with OEM pulled parts, you will still get error 53, so that counterfeit part or shoddy repair arguement is invalid if you still get the same results from OEM hardware pulled from a functional device. Also, Apple does not "manufacture" their parts. For years they used Samsung manufactured displays, now LG and Sharp, their U2 power IC is manufactures by Molex, a Koch Industries company, and Toshiba manufactured many of their processors to name a few and Foxconn does their manufacturing.

The fact is, if you paid over $600 for your iPhone, you should have the right to have it repaired by yourself or whoever you choose. Apple Stores and Service Centers aren't everywhere nor easily accessible as well as the number of Authorized Service Centers are dwindling since they started opening retail stores and denying authorized third parties contract renewals.

<Edited by Host>

Feb 9, 2016 4:12 PM in response to gail from maine

The thing is if someone dropped a $649 iPhone they "own" in a cup of tea they should have the right to repair their device and that the person they choose should not have the proper hardware or tools withheld from their access to ensure the job can get done right.

If you have a flat tire on your car and got it repaired at your local mechanic, you shouldn't live in fear thinking the dealership or manufacturer would hit a kill switch because you did something they didn't like on your own possession.

And as far as new identity, I usually don't post on forums, I just finally felt like it's my moral duty to educate people about the reasons behind the risk instead of just forewarning the risk. I've had a GSX account for years, I just finally decided to say something. "Any who may wish to profit himself alone from the knowledge given him, rather than serve others through the knowledge he has gained from learning, is betraying knowledge and rendering it worthless"

Feb 10, 2016 7:26 AM in response to gail from maine

Hi guys/gals, long time Apple owner, first time poster.

By way of house cleaning, lest Lawrence becomes more suspicious, I am not any of the people who have been banned. But, some of those people are my friends, so I feel compelled to comment, not necessarily in defense of anything they said - because I can't see their posts, so I'm not sure what was said that got them banned. Although, if they were advocating for 3rd party repair, or even DIY repair, then I whole-heartedly support support them, 110%. Elsewhere on the internet, I saw a discussion related to this thread, so here I am.

What's so fascinating to me is that gail_from_maine, Philly_Phan, and others are are flaming people for what they perceive to be "bad advice" while at the same time, also suggesting what I (and others) perceive to be equally bad advice. Whose bad advice is somehow more valid, or worse? Let the end-user decide that after choosing whose advice to follow.

Gail and Philly both suggested taking the phone to Apple. This assumes that an Apple Store is conveniently located within a reasonable travel distance to Ossalv16 AND anyone else in Ossalv's predicament. The fact that there is NOT an Apple Store within a reasonable travel distance for MOST American's and that there's no Apple Store in MOST foreign countries, immediately makes, "take it to Apple" the very definition of bad advice, based on an assumption.

As a retort, one could argue that Apple accepts mail-ins. Fair enough, but the phone in question here has been dropped in liquid and Ossalv16 states it no longer works AFTER falling in the tea. Apple does not do repairs on liquid damaged phones, thus mailing it to them, only to have it returned un-repaired is ALSO bad advice.

Both driving to Apple, or mailing it to them will only yield one thing - a horrible misuse of someone's time. The only accurate thing Gail points out is the out-of-warranty replacement program. Those claiming a 3rd party repair will void the warranty must not understand that the warranty was void the moment it hit the tea. You can't make the warranty "more voided". Those claiming that Apple will not offer an out-of-warranty replacement due to a 3rd party repair attempt must be an official Apple spokesperson stating official policy that is not spelled out in any of the terms and conditions whereby OOW exchange is an option.

"Important: Do not open the Apple Product. Opening the Apple Product may cause damage that is not covered by this Warranty. Only Apple or an AASP should perform service on this Apple Product." followed shortly thereafter by, "WARRANTY SERVICE OPTIONS: (iii) Do-it-yourself (DIY) parts service. DIY parts service allows you to service your own Apple Product."

Thus, in certain circumstance, Apple DOES condone and authorize DIY

Furthermore, Gail is correct in one thing, and one thing only. Found in Apple's OOW service terms and conditions, I offer this,

"Out-of-warranty service

If your iPhone or the required service isn’t covered by Apple’s One Year Limited Warranty, AppleCare+, or AppleCare Protection Plan, you may still be able to get out-of-warranty service. For example, an iPhone damaged by liquids may be eligible for out-of-warranty service. Apple reserves the right to determine whether your device is eligible. See Apple’s Repair Terms and Conditions for complete details."

Thus, Gail, nor anyone else has any authority to say anything along the lines of, "if you take your phone to a third party repair service, you will not be able to use Apple's OOW exchange service", UNLESS they are officially speaking for Apple. Albeit anecdotal in nature, I am aware of dozens of instances where Apple has exchanged a broken phone, serviced by a 3rd party, for a new device under the OOW service.

I support third party repair and will speak up (intelligently and politely) anytime I see someone flaming third party repair as though it is not worthy of Apple products. Merely suggesting someone take their liquid damaged phone to Apple for OOW exchange as the ONLY viable option shows a real lack of compassion for the person with the loss, because ANY and ALL data on the phone (ie baby, vacation, and wedding photos/videos, contacts, notes, and other information) will be LOST forever as Apple does not offer data recovery. Saying, "well they should have backed up the phone more often" is also non-compassionate and belittle the person affected. No one goes to a wedding and takes a bunch of photos, planning on dropping their phone in the toilet while there. No one goes on vacation, takes a bunch of photos, planning on dropping their phone in a cocktail. No one goes to a convention and adds 20 new contacts, planning on having a drink spilled on their phone. And yet, accidents happen and when those accidents happen, 3rd party repair (data recovery) is the ONLY option - unless you just don't care about your 10,000 photos/videos and hundreds of contacts. In that case, by all means go to Apple.

<Edited by Host>

Feb 9, 2016 6:06 PM in response to Trent D

Trent D wrote:

Hi guys/gals, long time Apple owner, first time poster.

By way of house cleaning, lest Lawrence becomes more suspicious, I am not any of the people who have been banned. But, some of those people are my friends, so I feel compelled to comment, not necessarily in defense of anything they said - because I can't see

Why do you feel compelled to do it in Apples house?

Feb 9, 2016 6:12 PM in response to Trent D

There's one critical misstatement in your long and self-serving post. Apple will replace a phone that has been damaged by the user under the out-of-warranty replacement program. If you mail your tea damaged phone to Apple they will replace it for whatever the out of warranty price is in your country (usually 1/3 of the new price), which you can find here: Apple - Support - Service Answer Center. The replacement comes with a warranty. They will not honor this program if the phone has been opened.

Thus, it is NOT bad advice to take the phone to Apple (or ship it to Apple). It's very good advice, and much better than taking a tea-damaged phone to an independent, who may or may not be able to fix it.

Feb 9, 2016 6:27 PM in response to Trent D

Hi guy or gal,

First, in the U.S., EVERY carrier except for AT&T and Virgin Mobile is an authorized service provider.

Choosing a service option

You can request iPhone repair service from your carrier, except for AT&T or Virgin Mobile. You can also get service by mail from Apple. Or you can set up an appointment and bring your iPhone to an Apple Retail Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider.

Second, if a failure has occurred because of failure of parts not supplied by Apple and not Apple-branded, Apple WILL return the iPhone to the user without servicing it AND may charge a diagnostic fee.

1.7 Service Exclusions and Diagnostic Fee. Apple may charge you a diagnostic fee (including shipping charges) as described in the Country Variation table, below (“Diagnostic Fee”), if Apple inspects your product and determines that ℹ your product does not require service, (ii) your product has failed due to or has incompatibilities with software or data residing or recorded on your product (iii) service is required due to the failure of parts that are neither supplied by Apple nor Apple-branded, (iii) additional labor or parts are required that were not specified in the original estimated charges and you do not agree to authorize service based on Apple’s revised estimated charges, or (iv) service cannot be performed because the serial number has been altered, defaced or removed or the product has failed due to accident, abuse, liquid spill or submersion, neglect, misuse (including faulty installation, repair, or maintenance by anyone other than Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider), unauthorized modification, extreme environment (including extreme temperature or humidity), extreme physical or electrical stress or interference, fluctuation or surges of electrical power, lightning, static electricity, fire, acts of God or other external causes (“Service Exclusions”). Apple will return your product to you without servicing it and may charge you the Diagnostic Fee.

Feb 9, 2016 6:27 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

Perhaps you didn't hear me. It IS bad advice IF the owner of the tea soaked phone has information that is not backed up anywhere else on the phone that they deem as valuable, necessary, or just plane want back. Not one person asked the original poster if this was the case (and it almost always is). Instead, a lot of assuming is going on AND "take it to Apple" is the only viable option. That said, I agree with you and the others who suggest an OOW replacement for liquid damage, but only if there is no "needed" and valuable (to the owner) data on the device. Liquid damage repair, more often than not, is not economically feasible for the repairer, or the end-user. Successful data recovery is priceless, and this is something Apple does not offer.

I drop my iphone in a cup of tea and now wont turn on, how do i fix this

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.