Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using Two Apple ID's

I've had an Apple ID for a few years now, and for all this time that I've had my Apple ID, my name has always been associated with it. Now, since I've recently made an Apple Online Store purchase, using my parent's Credit Card, I noticed that my name hasn't been associated with my Apple ID anymore.

I've updated my Payment Info through the iTunes Store on my Mac to 'None', but I have no idea how to change my name back or if it's even possible without adding another Credit Card that would be in my name.

I was wondering if I should consider using two Apple ID's, one to keep the Credit Card info, along with the name associated with it, for purchases, and one for everything else, which would have my name associated with it.

I'm not sure if that's something I should do or how my things would be split up between the two Apple ID's, so if anyone could please explain to me how that would work for me, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thank you so much.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X El Capitan (10.11.3)

Posted on Feb 7, 2016 1:07 PM

2 replies

Feb 7, 2016 1:10 PM in response to Apple User Questions

Apple ID Support - http://www.apple.com/support/appleid/ -> Apple ID FAQ http://support.apple.com/kb/HE37

"How do I change my Apple ID Name or personal information? You can change your Apple ID Name at My Apple ID. Select your country and language, enter your desired changes, then click the Continue button. Changes take effect immediately. You can also use My Apple ID to change your personal information, such as your mailing address or email address. See How to change the name you use for your Apple ID if you'd like more information."

Do not make a new AppleID. You cannot transfer items from one to another and managing two has severe disadvantages.

Feb 7, 2016 2:56 PM in response to Limnos

Thank you for your reply, Limnos.

I went to the Manage My Apple ID page, signed in and clicked Edit next to Account, and changed the name back to my name... However, how do I prevent this from happening again, the next time I make a purchase with my parent's Credit Card?

Do you think the only reason I was able to change it was because I've updated my Payment Info through the iTunes Store on my Mac to 'None'?

Also, what I was planning to do, in regards to the two Apple ID's, was changing my current Apple ID e-mail to a different e-mail that I would use for purchases, as all of my purchases are on this account.

And then create a second Apple ID using the same e-mail that I deleted from my first Apple ID, as that is my personal e-mail that I want to be associated with the Apple ID that won't be dealing with purchases.

Would this plan work? What kind of severe disadvantages are you referring to with using two Apple ID's?

Thank you so much.

Using Two Apple ID's

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.