Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro crash and panic after restart

Hello there.

I have a problem with my MacBook Pro mid 2012. A day ago my hard drive crashed, and I installed a new one. I cleaned the new one and installed OS X Mountain Lion with Disk Utility.

The first time i installed OS X on the new hard drive and was going to restart the computer, it did shut down successfully, however when it turned on again, it showed the apple icon, but after a few second, it showed two other icons, a folder with a question mark in it, and a prohibitory icon.

So I shut it down again because it wasn't loading anymore, and started it up again holding down the shift key. It started up and showed just the apple icon and a loading icon. But after a while, I got a message saying Kernel Panic. So I reinstalled the OS again on Disk Utility, and as for now it's working fine. I'm writing this on the mac, but I haven't turned it off and on again because I'm afraid the same thing will happen.

What could be wrong here?

Thanks,

Andreas.

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012), OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Feb 7, 2016 1:08 PM

11 replies

Feb 7, 2016 1:28 PM in response to AndreasHuse

Your post shows 10.9.1 Maverick, but you say you installed Mountain Lion. You cannot install with disk utilities. Unless you used it to create a bootable usb installer drive. Or you used internet recovery(Command Option R) and then formate the new drive and then recovery. If you go to the utilities folder,disk utilities and run verify, do you get any errors. Also you can run repair permissions.

Feb 7, 2016 1:49 PM in response to my ginger

When I clicked on verify disk in Disk Utility, I get an error saying something about EFI Failed. I clicked repair disk and it said it repaired it successfully, so I run the verify disk one more time and the error was gone. But it keeps coming when I reboot the computer.

I don't remember the whole error in my head, and I don't want to restart my mac... I do not have an external inclosure.

The last time I restarted the computer, it started normally like I said earlier, but while it was loading, it flashed between the prohibitory symbol, the apple icon and the folder with the question mark and it was stuck like that for about 30 seconds. When it finally stopped flashing between the icons, the apple logo and the loading icon loaded for about 10 seconds before I got an error saying the kernel panicked. Also the hard drive made some serious clicking noises.

The EFI error is like this:

User uploaded file

And this is what I get when I reboot:

User uploaded file

Feb 7, 2016 2:17 PM in response to my ginger

No, I have not changed or touched my memory, which is strange that I get this error... It's just 1 partition called Macintosh. I did have windows installed on bootcamp, but not anymore as the first hard drive crashed. I do not have a backup of any of the drives...

I have tried to do what the thread you posted said, but for some reason it doesn't work and I keep getting the EFI alert...

Feb 7, 2016 3:11 PM in response to AndreasHuse

You never ran bootcamp on this drive? Or created more than one partition? When you went to this drive did you, by chance. clone the old drive too it? And the bottom partition shows freedom. When setting up a new drive, wether though recovery or not. You would, in disk utilities click on the main drive(GB-M4)and select partition from the top menu. From the volume scheme select 1 partition. Click option and select GUID. From formate select mac os extended journaled. Then click apply. You would get an alert telling you that it is going to erase all content. Is this what you did?

Feb 11, 2016 1:51 PM in response to AndreasHuse

Okay, so I fixed the issue.

What I did was to remove the hard drive from the laptop, but still have the hard drive cable connected to the motherboard.

After that I used a USB to Startech USB 3.0 to 2.5" SATA III Hard Drive Adapter Cable and connected the old hard drive to the adapter and the adapter to the computer. Now I booted the computer in safe mode, and it booted just fine without any errors at all.

Then I restarted the computer, and it boots just perfect, so I ordered a new hard drive cable to replace the one inside.

If anyone else has this problem, you could try what I did. Works fine 🙂

MacBook Pro crash and panic after restart

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.