Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IOS 9 Email from Exchange Clients - Can't Download

Our basic problem is we are not always able to see jpg photos or pdf attachments in the Apple Email application sent from any of our Exchange Server email clients. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

We are a small general contractor with about 15 users. Since December and upgrading to IOS 9 on our IPads (4th gen) and IPhones used in the field, we've been having intermittent, but persistent problems with seeing and/or downloading both JPGs and PDFs in our Exchange 2003 client emails. Apple Support of course says that it not a hardware problem because we are connecting and sending emails. They say that we need to install ALL available updates to our Exchange Server 2003. But since Microsoft is no longer supporting anything before 2010, that's not going to happen until we get a very large influx of jobs/cash and move to Exchange Server 2016 on new hardware.

How can we fix this problem, using current hardware and software? The same WORK emails with attachments are fine using other ISP/Email accounts on these devices. It appears only with our WORK Exchange Server handled emails on IOS devices.

Our field techs take photos with various devices and/or create PDF reports (Daily Reports) from Word files. These are distributed via email to managers, some of which use only their IPads or IPhones to view/read and comment. Some of them are no longer able to see these attachments! Attachments view normally on other email platforms (Outlook on PCs, Windows Phones or Android).

Up until we upgraded devices to IOS 9, emails with attachments went smoothly. But lately, more often than not, the email will arrive with a note on the bottom saying: "This message was downloaded as plain text", with a "Download Full Message" button. Sometimes (maybe with smaller photos/attachments) it will continue on its own and show the entire email with the photo or PDF document, and be good. But, now sometimes the photo or document may "flash" on the screen then disappear and an icon with the name of the attached file(s) will be shown on the bottom of the email. Clicking on this does nothing to the email. While this occurs, the "hour-glass" busy icon is showing at the top of the screen as if something is downloading. This may go away in a few moments/minutes, or not. Still no visual on the attachment(s). Closing the IOS Email and coming back in may now show the email with the attachment or it may not. As I said, it is inconsistent/intermittent.

Sometimes when we click on the "Download Full Message" link and then the icon of the attached file, the icon will slightly grey-out and then come back without doing anything (i.e. showing the photo or document). Other times a message has popped up saying "Cannot Download Attachment", and the email is worthless.

We have wiped and reinstalled IOS and Exchange Server email accounts a couple of times now (at Apple Community and Apple Support recommendations), with no improvement in the stability of our WORK emails with attachments, on IOS 9 devices. Funny thing, advertisements seem to show up just fine in our emails, even with embedded graphics!

Could it be some major revision to the IOS 9 email handler that no longer allows devices to save emails locally, to have them available to be seen a second time without re-downloading, but demands that each email be downloaded from the server whenever viewed? This would save local storage space, but it is going to overtax our Exchange Server greatly.

Many things going on, none of which are consistent. Please help if you can.

iPad 2, iOS 9.2.1

Posted on Feb 7, 2016 1:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 9, 2016 3:45 AM

I'm wondering if you had any luck with this?

We've exactly the same issue 😟

Dan

13 replies

Feb 9, 2016 11:45 AM in response to irish-times-dev

Not yet and not looking favorable .😕

Worked on it for a couple of hours yesterday sending emails from various accounts with attachments, from Wi-Fi or Cellular, doesn't seem to matter - just very inconsistent. Sometimes I can see the photos multiple times (in and out of Email), sometimes not at all. Sometimes the photo "flashes" when first receiving email, then it disappears. I will keep trying to see if there is a common thread.

Steve

Feb 11, 2016 8:09 AM in response to irish-times-dev

That sounds hopeful at least. Can I get on the Beta testing wagon?

Today I'm working with our email anti-spam relay service (Excel Micro's Nuvotera - formerly SpamSoap) to see if the attachment gets stuck with them. Doesn't seem too likely, but I'm desperate.

I continue in my efforts to replicate it, and have the following narrative that I sent on to some:

I sent one photo from myself to myself (Exchange Server based emails) last night from my IPad (using Apple Email client). It went out fine then came in fine – sort of, at first. As it was coming in (I assume downloading via my home Wi-Fi, not the cellular data connection, after all it was a 1.6 MB photo), I quickly clicked on the icon representing the attachment in the email, it showed the hourglass progressing, then the attached photo was totally visible, and then the photo was no longer visible – replaced with an icon that said “Tap to Download”. When I tapped to download, it said: “Downloading” and then came back with an error window that said “Cannot Download Attachment – OK”, and returned me to the now, non-progressing “Downloading” icon within the email. The email itself and/or the program now seemed to freeze (lock-up), necessitating exiting that email, back into the Inbox selection process to see a different email.

Other messages within this email when it first comes in the Inbox, put there, I assume, by the Apple Email program:

“This message was downloaded as plain text”

“Download full message”.

Using Outlook on our PC’s works fine, with no attachment issues – regardless of size. I know we can successfully use Outlook Web Access (via any browser on our Apple IOS devices) to view and/or forward these emails to others (as sometimes we must do), so I’m really thinking it is only an Apple IOS issue when (I've heard) they upgraded their email platform with the IOS 9 updates.

Looking forward to IOS 9.3

Feb 12, 2016 12:37 PM in response to SteveLemaster

Good News, maybe.

I joined the Public Beta team yesterday (anybody can), deleted just my Exchange email account on the iPad, downloaded/installed IOS 9.3 Beta, re-installed my work Exchange email account, and was very happy to see attachments coming in with the emails, and staying visible! My inability to see the attached photos and pdf's on my iPad 2 4th generation, in my Exchange Server 2003 email account seemed to have been corrected. But . . .

Testing continues . . . I had one email with multiple (actually 8) 1 MB or greater photos come in, with a Word Document, and after being visible in the email as they were downloaded over Wi-Fi (30 seconds or so), they disappeared and were replaced with the file name/size/date icons - the same problem as with the prior IOS versions 9.2.1. But I'm wondering if the size and quantity of attachments are critical to staying visible in this new implementation of Apple's email client, or if because this download was occurring by several of us at the same time on the Exchange server, remotely (Cellular data and Wi-Fi) - if the server was too inundated at that time?

I did some more testing early this morning using the Exchange email account. Single small, multiple large files and different file types and everything worked smoothly - and the attachments remained visible!

I will reply back here in the next few days to report-in on the apparent success of at least the IOS Beta 9.3 version in fixing my attachment viewing problem with our work Exchange Server 2003 email users on iPads and iPhones.

Steve

Mar 3, 2016 8:13 AM in response to SteveLemaster

Good News - on this front, anyway.

After 2+ weeks of testing email attachments using Public Beta 9.3 (now up to release 5) AND reducing the size and quantity of attachments (well under 1 MB each and less than 6 total per email), we've been successful in reading/seeing the attachments within the Apple default email program on iPads (iPad 2, version 4). In fact it has been working our on iPhone 5 and iPhone 6s devices with IOS 9.2.1 now too - so maybe limiting the size and quantity, and clearing out the 100 MB+ emails stored on the devices, helped.

Or, maybe Apple has addressed the problem quietly in the Beta and it will not be an issue when the public update is released, soon.

Thanks for your help.

Steve

Mar 10, 2016 7:43 PM in response to SteveLemaster

Hi Steve,

It will be great help if you can share how this has resolved because similar from last 3 weeks we have been facing same problem on iPad Pro, iPad Air2 & iPad 3 with iOS 9.2.1 and still not able to get any solution even contacted Apple Support Team too.

Thank you very much in advance to highlight this problem and getting resolved, I will appreciate your early response.

Regards.... Rajesh Gupta

Mar 18, 2016 5:25 AM in response to SteveLemaster

Gents,

I have the same issue, and I am sure it is iOS bug the email client is trying to cache large files to some place but it stuck, when sending files less than 500K it works fine but for greater files it does not,

I used Email+ app from App-store and its working like a champ, its even faster and full of features than using Apple email client and FREE,

I wish you all the best,

Hussein Alyami

Saudi Arabia

May 14, 2016 4:26 AM in response to SteveLemaster

I find that when sending an email with a photo attachment from Apple Mail on the iPad, via a corporate Exchange server (not the latest Exchange server version but not sure of the exact version number), recipients do not get the image in the email. The error message is: "This message cannot be displayed because of the way it is is formatted. Ask the sender to send it again using a different format or email program. test/plain" It seems to reliably be the case that if the same image is sent at "Actual" size (eg 717KB), the error message above is generated upon receipt. But if the same image is sent, but instead, the "Large" size version of the same image is chosen (eg reducing the 717KB image to 454KB), then the image is reliably rendered every time. Another aspect to the problem is that, even when the "Actual" (ie full) image size is sent, if a recipient moves the email to the iOS Apple Mail trash folder, then moves the message back into the inbox, the message will reliably display the attached image (even though it did not display the image when the message was first in the inbox). This is of little use, however, if a message is sent to an important recipient who will be unwilling to waste time following a procedure that involves moving mail between trash and inbox folders...

IOS 9 Email from Exchange Clients - Can't Download

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.