Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad that won't update

I received a perfect condition iPad 2 from 2011 that unfortunately was never updated. After switching it over to my account it called to be updated, which wasn't working and then restored, also not working. I took it in to the Apple Store and they said there is nothing that can be done when you go to long without updating and they don't have older updates that they could start from and work up to new and that I have to buy a new one. Really??? Right now the iPad just has a locked screen with a picture of a plug saying to plug it into iTunes but won't do anything. Any suggestions?? I think that's absolutely ridiculous of Apple. i must be able to get ahold of old updates, that it will take and be able to start from there???

Posted on Feb 7, 2016 1:20 PM

5 replies

Feb 7, 2016 1:45 PM in response to Michael Black

Positive this is an iPad 2, confirmed by Apple and serial number. We (my savvy teens) and the apple genius tried to update in iTunes. He just said that if it goes too long without newer updates that they just can't be updated. But I would think that if we could update from an older version of iTunes or something maybe then it would be able to communicate and read the update?

Feb 7, 2016 2:03 PM in response to rmfrommf

The Apple rep was misinformed. You can update from any version directly to the most recent available supported on the hardware.

Have you tried going into settings and using erase all content and settings. Then setup as a New device in iTunes.

Apple's system for distribution of iOS only ever offers one option which is always the most recent version supported on the hardware in question. .

Feb 7, 2016 2:07 PM in response to Michael Black

I have the same problem with an ipad air - just 13 months old. It has been updated all along with each software release. While updating to the latest release three days ago, it froze during the update.
Apple says there is nothing they can do. They don't acknowledge that the software update caused this, but rather said there was just something else wrong with the Ipad and its out of warranty being 13 months old. So nothing I can do. Extremely frustrated with apple right now.

Feb 7, 2016 4:12 PM in response to Michael Black

That's what we were trying to do. Restore is erase all content and settings. I can't get in to the iPad anymore without plugging it in to my computer and going through iTunes, and then I kept getting the error message 3194, and now "This device isn't reliable for the requested build in iTunes." Then I have done the other suggested scenarios and it just won't restore. The Apple guy said, even if it is a iPad 2 that it is just not communicating with the motherboard because it wasn't updated. Only thing to do would be replace the motherboard, which obviously would not be done on a 2011 iPad, hence "you need to buy a new one". Seriously, my aunt had this iPad, and just never could figure out how to use it, so it sat in the box untouched, there is nothing wrong with it. User uploaded file

iPad that won't update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.