Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My podcast is tagged as explicit but showing as clean in iTunes

I'm very new to iTunes and podcasting. My podcast was just approved, and even though I have it tagged as explicit in Wordpress, it is showing as clean in iTunes. Any way to fix this? I don't want to get flagged for not labeling it correctly.

Here's my podcast: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/home-for-geriatric-terriers/id1082162375

And here's my RRS link: https://geriatricterriers.com/category/podcast/feed/

Let me know if you need any other information.

Thanks!

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/home-for-geriatric-terriers/id1082162375

Posted on Feb 7, 2016 1:47 PM

8 replies

Feb 7, 2016 1:54 PM in response to geriatricterriers

You have set the 'itunes:explicit' tag to 'yes' for the overall podcast, but your episode has the 'itunes:explicit' tag set to 'no'. You must flag each episode where it contains explicit themes or language.

You have constructed your podcast in Wordpress, and someone was complaining only a couple of days ago that he was unable to flag his episode using Wordpress (and that they told him it had to be done in the file's ID3 tag, which is rubbish). However the last I heard was that Wordpress had agreed there was a problem at their end (see the last post in the thread) so possibly you may find you can do this.

You need to do this with some despatch, because I have to warn you that having an episode containing explicit language but not flagged as such (irrespective of the overall flag) is grounds for your podcast being removed from the Store, so you should try to get this corrected before the Store staff notice.

Feb 9, 2016 6:00 AM in response to Roger Wilmut1

I received instructions from Wordpress on how to tag individual episodes as explicit. Apparently it requires a separate app that will add the explicit tag to the mp3 file itself. Here is the link they sent me.

https://www.maketecheasier.com/add-explicit-clean-tags-itunes/

Does this seem correct? Also, if I replace the current mp3 for the episode that is already in iTunes with an mp3 that is tagged correctly, will it change it to explicit in iTunes? If not, how do I get that resolved?

Thanks for your help.

Feb 9, 2016 11:43 AM in response to Roger Wilmut1

Still going back and forth with WordPress support, but I need clarification on something. Once a podcast episode is live in iTunes, is it static? I mean, if I replace the mp3 with another file with the same name, does what's in iTunes change? If iTunes reads an episode in my feed and adds it to iTunes, can it be changed at all? Also, is it possible to delete an episode?

Thank you very much for all your help.

Feb 9, 2016 12:15 PM in response to geriatricterriers

Short answer:

If you want to make sure everyone gets your new mp3:

1. Remove the episode from your feed (Unpublish the Wordpress post)
  2. Add a new episode to your feed (Create a new Wordpress post with your new mp3 file)
  3. Publish your feed (publish the Wordpress episode)
  4. In 24 hours, the iTunes Store, iTunes Desktop and the Podcasts app will see the new episode and download the new mp3.

if I replace the mp3 with another file with the same name, does what's in iTunes change?

Long answer:

The iTunes Store displays the title, duration, date, description and subtitle about your podcast episode. All this information comes from your podcast feed.

The mp3 file isn't "touched" until someone clicks download, subscribes or clicks play.

Nothing would change in the iTunes Store, iTunes Desktop or the Podcasts app...until:

• Apple Store (not subscribed): When someone clicks play, the iTunes Store will begin playing the [new] mp3 file.
  • Apple Store (not subscribed): When someone clicks "get", the iTunes Store will download the new mp3 file into My Podcasts.
  • iTunes Desktop (subscribed): If the subscriber already received the old mp3 file and it was downloaded into iTunes desktop's My Podcasts, iTunes desktop will not check for a new mp3 file.
  • iTunes Desktop (new subscriber): If someone subscribes to your feed after you changed the mp3 file, iTunes desktop will retrieve the new mp3 when episodes get downloaded.
  • Podcasts app: Same as iTunes desktop.

Does that help?

-Fan

Feb 9, 2016 1:56 PM in response to geriatricterriers

Shawngordo has posted a response in another thread about the same 'itunes:explicit' problem in Wordpress, which isn't encouraging - it's on page 2 of this thread:

Episodes marked as clean

Apparently as things stand at the present you simply cannot add this tag. This is ridiculous, and makes wordpress.com completely unsuitable as a podcasting system. If you cannot insert the tag and continue to have strong language in your episodes you are liable to find your podcast removed from the Store, which is a highly unsatisfactory situation. If you able to remove the strong language it might well be advisable to do so.

My podcast is tagged as explicit but showing as clean in iTunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.