Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Having trouble with fibre connection and new AirPort router

I have installed fiber optic connection to replace my cable modem connection....I have a long standing Airport network. When i bridge ISP router into my Airport network it is causing multiple problems. The major one is that when you plug ethernet cable from Ethernet port of ISP modem into the WAN port of Timecapsule all the LAN ports of the TC go dead. ( the ISP modem already has a ethernet cable in its WAN port or first port which comes from the Optical Network Terminal that the fiberoptic cable connects to from the outside ). I have talked with the ISP and they say just use any ethernet port to connect to WAN port of TC. On their end, they say everything is connected and working.....so it is the Apple side......I bought a new TC and changed my ethernet cords but all i can establish is a wireless network. My network is a roaming one and all my Extremes are connected with cables, but all the LAN ports on my main TC are dead. I have rebuilt my network and same problem.....And i think the culprit is the TC LAN ports being shut off

Posted on Feb 7, 2016 1:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 7, 2016 2:14 PM

Unfortunately, Apple has designed their AirPort routers to work with standard cable and DSL type connections. Fibre is a whole new ballgame, and Apple has not yet learned the rules for the game, so you may or may not have a really challenging issue.

when you plug ethernet cable from Ethernet port of ISP modem into the WAN port of Timecapsule all the LAN ports of the TC go dead.

Before you connected the Time Capsule to the fibre "modem", did you first reset it back to factory default settings......and then.....set it up again to hopefully work with the fibre router?

If not, this is what you will need to do whenever you change providers or the modem that the Time Capsule is connecting to.

All of the other devices that might be connected to the Time Capsule at this time will need to be powered off and disconnected.

Then, if the Time Capsule can be set up to work with the fibre "modem", you can connect devices back to the Time Capsule one at a time to make sure that each one is working before you connect the next. It may be necessary for you to reconfigure some or all of the devices that were connected to the Time Capsule to get everything working again.

The bottom line here......get the Time Capsule working with the fibre "modem" first. Then, start to add other devices to the Time Capsule one at a time.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 7, 2016 2:14 PM in response to vonrueden

Unfortunately, Apple has designed their AirPort routers to work with standard cable and DSL type connections. Fibre is a whole new ballgame, and Apple has not yet learned the rules for the game, so you may or may not have a really challenging issue.

when you plug ethernet cable from Ethernet port of ISP modem into the WAN port of Timecapsule all the LAN ports of the TC go dead.

Before you connected the Time Capsule to the fibre "modem", did you first reset it back to factory default settings......and then.....set it up again to hopefully work with the fibre router?

If not, this is what you will need to do whenever you change providers or the modem that the Time Capsule is connecting to.

All of the other devices that might be connected to the Time Capsule at this time will need to be powered off and disconnected.

Then, if the Time Capsule can be set up to work with the fibre "modem", you can connect devices back to the Time Capsule one at a time to make sure that each one is working before you connect the next. It may be necessary for you to reconfigure some or all of the devices that were connected to the Time Capsule to get everything working again.

The bottom line here......get the Time Capsule working with the fibre "modem" first. Then, start to add other devices to the Time Capsule one at a time.

Having trouble with fibre connection and new AirPort router

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.