Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Signing out of ipad warning.

I'm new to using an ipad. I set up my icloud account, but when I went to "sign out" I got a pop up warning box that says "Deleting this account will remove it's data from your ipad." Continue or Cancel. What? I'm not trying to delete the account.

I was under the impression that I would be "signing in and out" of the icloud as I needed to go into or out of it. Like we do with most everything. Sign in when you needed to get to it's contents and sign out when you're done. All the while it's running in the background storing stuff.

Are we not suppose to sign in and out of our icloud? We sign in and out of say itunes and ibooks. If someone is using my ipad they can't make a purchase because I sign in and out and they don't have my password. So it just seems the icloud should be signed in and out of...so if someone is using my ipad they can't do anything to my iclouds content or it's settings.

What am I not understanding? Do we always stay signed in to the icloud? Thanks in advance.

iPad Air

Posted on Feb 7, 2016 2:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 7, 2016 9:14 PM

An iCloud backup is initiated from a device that is signed into iCloud, so if you sign out, then until you sign back in, no further backups will be done. Any backups that you already have done will remain intact, however.

I sign out of i'Cloud on my iPhones fairly regularly to do testing for this support site. When I sign back in, all of my iCloud data is restored (not iCloud backup data, but the iCloud data you can see when you log into iCloud.com, or when you select what you want to sync with iCloud when you sign in under Settings>iCloud on your device: Contacts, Calendars, Messages, Notes, Mail, Reminders, Find My iPhone, Photo Stream, etc.). These are all stored in iCloud and are updated dynamically as you update or change them on your device. They are not backed up since they actually "live" in iCloud all of the time.

When you back up to iCloud, a "picture" of your device is created and stored in your iCloud storage. This saves the information on your phone as of a fixed point in time. Your backup is used to restore your phone to when you have had to erase it, or it can be used to set up a new phone to "look like" the phone that you backed up from.

So, when I got my iPhone 5s, I had created a backup of my iPhone 4. When I set up my new iPhone 5s, I restored it from that iPhone 4 backup, so that when it was done setting up my phone, it looked just like my iPhone 4 did at the moment I did the backup of that iPhone 4.

Various issues can also require you to erase your phone, or sometimes may put your phone into "Recovery" mode, and when that happens, you would want a backup to restore from so that you don't have to set up your phone from scratch.

But again, signing in or out of iCloud is really no different than signing in or out of iTunes. When you sign out of iTunes on your computer or your device, you don't lose all of your iTunes library, or all of your iTunes purchases. As soon as you sign back into iTunes, you have access to all of those things. iCloud is the same way.

If you can, go to iCloud.com on a computer and sign in with your iCloud ID so you can see what is stored in iCloud itself.

If you want to see what items would be backed up to iCloud when you do a backup, go to Settings>iCloud>Storage>Manage Storage, and then click on your device name. That will then take you to a screen that will show you your next Backup size, and which will also show you all of the items you have checked to back up. Even though it lists apps in that list, it doesn't actually back up the apps themselves, but it does back up the data you have saved for those apps. Each item shows how much room that particular backup item will be using for the backup. You can select fewer items to be backed up if you wish.

If you want to back up to iCloud before you do an update, make sure you are signed into iCloud, click on Settings>iCloud, scroll down to where it says "Backup", and tap on that. You will then see an option to Back Up Now. Once the backup indicates that it has completed, you can go to the menu indicated in the paragraph above to verify that your backup has completed.

Here is a support site that has a lot of info on iCloud that may help:

http://help.apple.com/icloud/#mmd0558ce3

Feel free to post back with any questions or concerns you may still have.

Cheers,

GB

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 7, 2016 9:14 PM in response to mmoehmke

An iCloud backup is initiated from a device that is signed into iCloud, so if you sign out, then until you sign back in, no further backups will be done. Any backups that you already have done will remain intact, however.

I sign out of i'Cloud on my iPhones fairly regularly to do testing for this support site. When I sign back in, all of my iCloud data is restored (not iCloud backup data, but the iCloud data you can see when you log into iCloud.com, or when you select what you want to sync with iCloud when you sign in under Settings>iCloud on your device: Contacts, Calendars, Messages, Notes, Mail, Reminders, Find My iPhone, Photo Stream, etc.). These are all stored in iCloud and are updated dynamically as you update or change them on your device. They are not backed up since they actually "live" in iCloud all of the time.

When you back up to iCloud, a "picture" of your device is created and stored in your iCloud storage. This saves the information on your phone as of a fixed point in time. Your backup is used to restore your phone to when you have had to erase it, or it can be used to set up a new phone to "look like" the phone that you backed up from.

So, when I got my iPhone 5s, I had created a backup of my iPhone 4. When I set up my new iPhone 5s, I restored it from that iPhone 4 backup, so that when it was done setting up my phone, it looked just like my iPhone 4 did at the moment I did the backup of that iPhone 4.

Various issues can also require you to erase your phone, or sometimes may put your phone into "Recovery" mode, and when that happens, you would want a backup to restore from so that you don't have to set up your phone from scratch.

But again, signing in or out of iCloud is really no different than signing in or out of iTunes. When you sign out of iTunes on your computer or your device, you don't lose all of your iTunes library, or all of your iTunes purchases. As soon as you sign back into iTunes, you have access to all of those things. iCloud is the same way.

If you can, go to iCloud.com on a computer and sign in with your iCloud ID so you can see what is stored in iCloud itself.

If you want to see what items would be backed up to iCloud when you do a backup, go to Settings>iCloud>Storage>Manage Storage, and then click on your device name. That will then take you to a screen that will show you your next Backup size, and which will also show you all of the items you have checked to back up. Even though it lists apps in that list, it doesn't actually back up the apps themselves, but it does back up the data you have saved for those apps. Each item shows how much room that particular backup item will be using for the backup. You can select fewer items to be backed up if you wish.

If you want to back up to iCloud before you do an update, make sure you are signed into iCloud, click on Settings>iCloud, scroll down to where it says "Backup", and tap on that. You will then see an option to Back Up Now. Once the backup indicates that it has completed, you can go to the menu indicated in the paragraph above to verify that your backup has completed.

Here is a support site that has a lot of info on iCloud that may help:

http://help.apple.com/icloud/#mmd0558ce3

Feel free to post back with any questions or concerns you may still have.

Cheers,

GB

Feb 7, 2016 4:39 PM in response to mmoehmke

iPads are really designed for a single user. It is "best" to stay signed in and make use of all iCloud services that sync your data with your iCloud.

As well, signing in and out of the App store has its consequences. Also you can stay signed in to iCloud while someone else is signed in to the App store. This is subject to the following though...

User uploaded file

Feb 7, 2016 3:59 PM in response to LACAllen

Thank you. I'm trying to get everything set up because my ipad is needing to update it's operating system (purchased in Aug. 2015 just before the "9" update came out but haven't had a chance till now to updated), and I want to back everything up first. I'm completely new to Apple products having always used Microsoft on HP PC and a Samsung phone. Wish me luck. I'm still figuring out what to toggle on for icloud to back up. Thanks again.

Feb 7, 2016 4:40 PM in response to mmoehmke

Yes, you can sign in and out of iCloud. All that warning is indicating is that you are removing the iCloud-sync'd data from the device when you sign out (i.e., Notes, Photo Stream, Contacts, Calendar, etc.). All of it still resides in iCloud - it just removes it from your device.

And, with Contacts, you will get the option to actually keep the Contacts on your phone if you wish, and then merge them when you sign into iCloud again (whether you use the same iCloud account to sign in or not).

Once you sign back into iCloud, the iCloud-sync'd data for that iCloud account will download to the device.

You can always see what is in your iCloud account by going to iCloud.com on a computer and signing in there. Anything there will sync to any device where that iCloud account is signed on, and where those options have been selected under Settings>iCloud.

Cheers,

GB

Feb 7, 2016 4:51 PM in response to gail from maine

Gail from Maine, thank you for the additional information and clarification on some things. It is appreciated. Explaining to me that if I sign out it deletes things off my device yet leaves it all in the cloud etc. is very helpful.

Will icloud still back things up to my icloud when I'm signed out of icloud or do I need to be signed into icloud in order for it to back up?

(I already tapped something incorrectly as it shows in this convo. that my own reply solved/answered my question. Oh boy).

Signing out of ipad warning.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.