Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wiping a HD, Have bootable USB

Basically I somehow accidentally brought over a Library file from a backup on my timeMachine and now I have a Library on my Macintosh HD folder and a Library file in the Macintosh\System\Library. These two Library's are similar but do have different files and about a 1GB difference. I tried deleting one of the Libraries then the other, but neither could be deleted because of their connection with the OS. I would like to wipe the whole HD and all apps everything from this to re-install an OS from a boot-able USB. Then from there with the HD reformatted and only the new OS on the HD. I will be able to add my saved files from backup with the new allotted space. Currently have about 85GB free, I already deleted music library after backing up (about 55GB), and every other file or items I could after saving each on an externalHD. But 85GB is that all these have after the OS is installed? Does Mavericks OS take over 150GB of HD to operate? It seems high so I am hoping this solution of wiping everything and reformatting the HD to a fresh Mavericks OS I could solve both problems, the riddance of an extra Library and more HD space without the build up of 4 yrs junk hidden away taking up space I am not finding yet.

MacBook, OS X Mavericks (10.9.3)

Posted on Feb 7, 2016 3:09 PM

3 replies

Feb 8, 2016 9:46 AM in response to KnowledgeSeeking

At the hard drive level, there should be a Library and System/Library folder. That is normal.

User uploaded file

Mavericks doesn't take 150 GB to operate. Use OmniDiscSweeper to see what is taking up all your disk space.

Disk Space - Free Up

Disk Space – Free Up (2)

Disk Space - Free Up - Mavericks

Disk Space Filling Up – OmniDiskSweeper 10.8+

Disk Space Filling Up - WhatSize

Feb 10, 2016 11:04 PM in response to Eric Root

I did the OmniDiskSweeper, I couldn't get the pic (screenshot) to post because of it being tiff and not jpeg or gif. But in quick, I have aparently 100 GB in my USER folder. 60GB in music, 21.5GB in Library which is a new library I didn't know of at first. That itself has folders such as Application Support, Containers, Mail, iTunes, Developer, Caches, Logs, Preferences, Safari....the list goes on. Back to my USER folder, after the library I have my Desktop holding 10GB then Downloads holding 8GB then some more all less than a GB. Back to the MAIN, under the USERS folder I have Applications which is 11GB, then the Library you show in your pic, mine is 5.7GB. Then a private which is 4GBm then System which is 3.6GB and like your pic my System also has a library there too, but it is only 3.6GB. I guess I should maybe delete my USER folder then that would bring me down to almost 60GB being used. I am not sure what I can delete or not, I'll have to download some software to allow me to convert the pics so I can post them and give the community better material to work with.

Wiping a HD, Have bootable USB

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.