Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bluetooth audio codec missing?

I have some sony headphones and I'm running El Capitan on a macbook pro retina, and the headphones will pair but they don't show up as an option for my output device, it just shows the internal speakers and headphones if I have them plugged into the headphone port. If I option-click the bluetooth icon and hover over the device it says "Active codec: not active". I have a bluetooth speaker and it does the same thing. Both devices used to work fine, I recently installed windows 10 with boot camp, but I think that's the only change I've made. Please help!

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X El Capitan (10.11.2), 8GB ram, 2.6 GHz i5

Posted on Feb 7, 2016 3:18 PM

14 replies

Oct 27, 2017 6:22 PM in response to Loner T

I've now unpaired the headphones and performed an SMC reset, but unfortunately I'm still getting the same behaviour as before.

Below is the Bluetooth Explorer Event Log; the headphones automatically disconnect approximately 15 seconds after connecting. It is during these 15 seconds that "Active Codec: Not active" shows up in the Bluetooth context menu and the headphones are listed in System Preferences -> Sound -> Output.

User uploaded file

My initial guess was that the disconnecting is just a consequence of an underlying problem that also causes the inability to play sound through the headphones, but I'm not sure.

Oct 27, 2017 4:09 AM in response to brennenfromfarmington

I'm having the same problem with Bose QC 35 headphones and a MacBook Air (Early 2015, macOS Sierra 10.12.6). Anyone knows what "Active Coded: Not active" means?

The headphones do show up as an output device in System Preferences -> Sound.

Music does not play through the headphones, however, and the headphones disconnect automatically after 10 seconds.

Oct 27, 2017 5:12 PM in response to Loner T

Yes, thanks. When clicking the speaker icon on the Sound Effects tab, the test sound plays through the internal speakers, even though "Selected sound output device" is chosen in the "Play sound effects through" combo box, and I had selected Bose QC35 II as the sound output device on the Output tab. There is no option to select the Bose QC35 II headphones directly in the "Play sound effects through" combo box on the Sound Effects tab.

Bluetooth audio codec missing?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.