Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The output on my Macbook Pro isn't giving me the drop down list, & it either comes up as Headphones port or digital port, & neither one is what I need. I have tried shutting down the computer & holding down "Shift' 'Control' 'Option' plus the power o

The output box on Sound output does not have drop downs. The output sound suddenly disappeared & when I went to the 'Output' sound in 'sound preferences' The only thing that would show was the Headphone outlet. After I tried a couple of things suggest by 'Apple Help' It sometimes comes up as digital out & whatever comes up you can't change it to anything else. The things I tried suggested by Apple Help were Press the 'Shift control option keys & power button at the same time. or press the Option, command, P & R button as quickly as possible after pressing the On button. Hold down till after the second gong while switching on. This did cause the digital out option to show up but neither of these 2 is the one I need. Help

MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012)

Posted on Feb 7, 2016 5:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 8, 2016 3:07 AM

Perhaps it would help to know exactly what the one you need is. Are you getting any output from thru external speakers or anything. Also it would help to know the operating system you are running.

1 reply

The output on my Macbook Pro isn't giving me the drop down list, & it either comes up as Headphones port or digital port, & neither one is what I need. I have tried shutting down the computer & holding down "Shift' 'Control' 'Option' plus the power o

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.