Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can't read external hard drive

I've just upgraded to el capitan, 10.11.1 and now I can't read my external hard drive. It does show up in disk utility but not on the desktop or in Finder. How do I access the information on it or get it to work again? Thanks!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.1)

Posted on Feb 7, 2016 5:44 PM

6 replies

Feb 7, 2016 5:58 PM in response to Franabella

You might try:

Repair the Hard Drive and Permissions - El Capitan

Boot to the Recovery HD:

Restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the COMMAND and R keys until the menu screen appears.

Repair

When the recovery menu appears select Disk Utility and press the Continue button. After Disk Utility loads select the indented Macintosh HD entry from the the left side list. Click on the First Aid tab in the toolbar.. If Disk Utility reports any errors that have been fixed, then re-run First Aid until no errors are reported. Wait until the operation completes, then quit Disk Utility and return to the main menu. Select Restart from the Apple menu.

Download and Reinstall OS X El Capitan 10.11.3 Combo Update

Feb 7, 2016 7:02 PM in response to Kappy

Thanks for the advice Kappy. I'm travelling at the moment and don't have access to much support, especially staying at caravan parks with very limited downloads - is this likely to cause further problems? I only ask this because I had a lot of trouble downloading el capitan - and had to get help from apple support before I left home. I'm hesitant to do anything that could be risky. Hard drive contains everything I wanted access to during travels, hence the frustration.

Cheers,

Fran

Feb 7, 2016 7:40 PM in response to Franabella

At the very least you might try repairing the drive as suggested earlier. Without much support there is little you can accomplish. I can't tell you if this is a problem with El Capitan, but that is a possibility. However, if you haven't the ability to reinstall the 10.11.3 update, then there isn't much more you can do.

You can try ejecting the drive and shutting the drive off then wait one minute. Reconnect the drive to the computer, but use a different USB port if your computer has more than one. You might also try Resetting your Mac's PRAM and NVRAM and Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC), and, booting into Safe Mode then booting normally (this is slower than a normal startup which is normal.)

can't read external hard drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.