Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

auto recovery file full

Hi. I have a 2010 MaBookPro running OS Yosemite 10.10.5 It has 16gb of memory and the startup disc is500gb. I am using a 3Tb external hard drive for backup and time machine.

I've been working all day on a textbook and started getting a message saying "Auto recovery file is full. Save elsewhere." Or something like that.

So, what are my options? Can I empty the file easily? Can I re-direct auto recovery to the external hard drive? If I turn the computer off for the evening will this solve this problem?

Thanks

Robert

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 9.2.1

Posted on Feb 7, 2016 5:41 PM

4 replies

Feb 7, 2016 7:36 PM in response to my ginger

Hi and thanks for the links. Yes, I'm running MS Word for Mac 2011. I turned off the computer for an hour and just turned it on to reply to your email. I don't actually need either Auto Recovery so I just turned it off. The articles were useful for this task. I did go to the Documents>MS User Data>Office 2011 Auto Recovery file. It's empty, and the last modified date is March 2015.

I searched Word Preferences>File Locations>Auto Recover Files locations and that shows no locations.

So I'm still wondering some things. 1) Does Auto Recovery wipe itself clean when you save manually? 2) How do I turn on Auto Save? Word>Preferences>Save doesn't seem to offer this option. 3) Does Auto Recovery wipe itself clean when you save a document and turn off the computer or close Word?

Thanks

Robert

auto recovery file full

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.