Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New iMac Deathintosh in the first 30 minutes

I received my new Retina iMac customized with 3TB Fusion drive and 16GB RAM. Everything else standard. I took it out of the box, powered it on. It seemed to work. Then I updated to El Capitain as the App Store suggested. It never came on again. Black screen. Hold in the power button, chimes, but no image. Tried zapping the PRAM, tried to get it to start using option; using T and hooking up to a Laptop. Nothing.

So I made an appointment, took it to the Geniuses at the local Apple Store and they couldnt get it to work either. So they graciously refunded the purchase and had me re-order the same machine online. I asked if they could rush it since it was Apple's fault and I had been waiting for weeks for the iMac and when it didnt arrive it was a lemon. The employee could do nothing but spout canned platitudes about what a great company Apple is and one machine failure out of millions means they are doing pretty good. This is nonsense.

Does anyone know of a consumer compensation program within Apple to make Apple's mistakes up to the customer?

This is a very frustrating experience and unnecessary if the company had better quality control.

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014), OS X El Capitan (10.11.3)

Posted on Feb 7, 2016 4:38 PM

9 replies

Feb 7, 2016 11:59 PM in response to AppleElder

Fact is, one DOA is pretty good out of millions of devices delivered. They refunded your money and by your own words, "graciously".

It is a maddening experience to have this happen.

What is it you would like them to do?

I believe if you use the contact link given and tell them, you would stand a better chance then talking about it here.

Feb 8, 2016 10:33 AM in response to AppleElder

Well, not sure, but I'm guessing that the customization may be one of those things that take a little more time. If I have something "personalized" (read - engraved), and it arrives broken, it is still going to take the original 6 weeks (or whatever) to "personalize" it again.

Did you try talking to the store manager or try escalating your request at the time?

And again, since this is a user to user forum, there is no "consumer joining together" here.

Sorry, but I'm sure you know the normal routes for registering complaints, and it is one of those that you will have to take.

Best of luck,

GB

Feb 8, 2016 11:22 AM in response to AppleElder

AppleElder wrote:

I have. They do nothing. But if consumers join together often positive changes in companies benefit all.

They do not reply to those messages, that is clearly stated. If you feel you have an actual case that would stand up, then file a claim with Apple. Frankly I think you don't have a leg to stand on but that is my opinion. As mentioned you can speak to the store manager you bought the computer from or you can call Apple's customer service number. This is not AppleCare they tend to be a Customer Advocate. You can also e-mail Tim directly and someone from his office should reply.

New iMac Deathintosh in the first 30 minutes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.