Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Deciphering AHT Feedback (Mac Pro 3,1 Early 2008)

Been having some issues with a recently acquired Mac Pro (Early 2008) Quad Core 2.8gHz, 32gb RAM, running a fresh install of El Capitan on a Samsung Evo 850 500GB SSD - occasional pauses and hangs, plus a few unusual problems:

• won't read a specific external WD hard drive, for example, that functions on every other Mac i've connected it to
  • I have 32gb of RAM (admittedly not proper 800mhz or 'Apple Approved') of which only 16gb shows when all are plugged in, but 24gb if I remove two of the chips.

Everything I've read points to potential RAM problems so I've installed and run the AHT. I can post more detailed information if needed, but for the moment the only feedback i'm getting (through various configurations to try and lock down any specific faulty DIMMS or riser slots/cards) is as follows:

NO TROUBLE FOUND

What does this 'POST:' code/designation imply? Any other suggestions would be amazing.

Mac Pro, iOS 9.2.1

Posted on Feb 7, 2016 4:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 7, 2016 7:06 PM

Power On Self Test.

On this Mac, it runs with error correction Hardware used aggressively. ANY error, correctible or not, during those few seconds and the slot is declared Empty and will not be used by the system. Unless it has some excuse, that DIMM is BAD.

5 replies

Feb 7, 2016 7:21 PM in response to TrentonTWS

but is it possible that it's the slot on the riser, rather than the specific DIMM?

Possible, yes.

Likely, No.

RAM errors are vexingly difficult to catch in the act. And if you look away for a moment, they stop failing.

But the error correction Hardware in Macs with Xeon processor watch each and every read from memory. If an error occurs in the system, it is corrected in one extended memory cycle, and processing continues. But the fact that a correction has occurred is collected by a background process, and tabulated. This can be read out in this STATIC report in System Profiler (about this Mac > ... > Report > Memory

User uploaded file

graphic from anandtech.com

Feb 7, 2016 8:32 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Ok, so I removed the 'offending' DIMMs from the riser, to which I was greeted with DIMM 1 and 2 on the same riser also returning a failed POST. Upon removing those, no error with an empty riser. Put 2 (tested and working) DIMMs into slots 1 and 2 and switched risers A & B, got the POST error again but this time from Riser B.

Does that sound like the riser card?

Deciphering AHT Feedback (Mac Pro 3,1 Early 2008)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.