Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Fan shuts off automatically

My fan auto turns off once it reaches approximately below 40 degrees celsius, I was wondering if this was normal because my friend has a 2014 macbook pro retina and his fans are always on.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X El Capitan (10.11.3)

Posted on Feb 7, 2016 5:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 7, 2016 5:33 PM

Fans are intended to be used when a device gets too hot. It is normal for them to shutdown or run slowly when a machine is not running at full power. It helps to extend battery life on laptops.

Your friend should probably examine what is causing the machine to make so much heat, it's possible for poorly written apps to overload or tax a computer. You can't really compare two machines unless you are able to start them from the same installed data.

Bear in mind that the surrounding temperature & airflow can alter how much a computer cools, so you need to compare them under the same conditions too.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 7, 2016 5:33 PM in response to yjoshi1

Fans are intended to be used when a device gets too hot. It is normal for them to shutdown or run slowly when a machine is not running at full power. It helps to extend battery life on laptops.

Your friend should probably examine what is causing the machine to make so much heat, it's possible for poorly written apps to overload or tax a computer. You can't really compare two machines unless you are able to start them from the same installed data.

Bear in mind that the surrounding temperature & airflow can alter how much a computer cools, so you need to compare them under the same conditions too.

Fan shuts off automatically

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.