Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

changed apple id email unable to get updates

My wife recently changed her apple ID email to a personal email not her work email. Her phone, ipad and itunes had updates pending. Now when we try to use the new email address it keeps popping up to add the password but using the old email address. Now we tried to change it back to the old one to get the updates and it wont get them either way. We get a pop up saying that the update is no longer available or was refunded or purchased with another account. How can I over come this??

Posted on Feb 7, 2016 6:27 PM

2 replies

Feb 9, 2016 6:46 AM in response to altor77

Hello altor77,

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities!

I understand that your wife recently changed her Apple ID to a personal email address and is now prompted for the old Apple IDs password while attempting to update apps.

Did your wife create a new Apple ID or edit the old Apple ID as shown in the following article?

Change your Apple ID - Apple Support

If the Apple ID was edited and changed to the new email address, all your wife should need to do to update apps is sign out of the old Apple ID and sign in to the new one. These steps are located in the iTunes, iBooks, and App Store section in the article below.

Sign in with a different Apple ID on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Other information about what to do after editing an Apple ID or changing your Apple ID password can be found in the following article.

What to do after you change your Apple ID email address or password - Apple Support

If your wife created a brand new Apple ID, it would make sense why the old apps are asking for that account information. Purchases, even free downloads, are directly tied to the Apple ID that originally downloaded them.

To resolve this issue, there are two choices:

1. You (your wife) can download these apps again fresh with the new Apple ID so they will now be associated with the new account

2. You (your wife) can sign out of the current Apple ID for iTunes & App Stores as described in the above article and sign into the old one. After signing into the old one, the apps should be available to update. Once updated, sign out of the old Apple ID and then back into the new, correct one. This process will have to be repeated any time there are new app updates with apps that are associated with the old Apple ID.

Cheers!

Feb 9, 2016 9:12 AM in response to pedro d

I am having some issues along this same topic. I have a new computer that I loaded itunes on. I also have a different email address and passwords from previous years using itunes. I am trying to update my ipod and it keeps asking me for authorizing my computer with two different emails that I have used in the past. One from around 2006 and another one from around 2009. I can see that the music was purchased with those emails, but I no longer have passwords to those email accounts. I tried to follow the directions and "authorize a computer" but I actually don't have another computer...just 3 different emails. It now shows that I have 4 computers authorized each time I try to do what it asks. This does not make sense to me since I only have 1 computer. How can I solve this problem? Do I need the password for those 2 others emails that I have used on the past to get the music to play, etc.?

changed apple id email unable to get updates

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.