Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why doesn't audiobook app in CarPlay have sound when music app does?

I Have a new Honda Civic with carplay and a fully updated iPhone 6. At first, the audiobook app worked fine, but now it doesn't have any sound! I try to start a book, and the time bar seems to play, but there is no sound. Call up music, and the songs play just fine. What is going on here? I've tried rebooting the app, rebooting the phone, restarting the car...

help please!

iPhone 6, iOS 9.2.1, 2016 Honda Civic EX-T with Apple Ca

Posted on Feb 7, 2016 6:42 PM

11 replies

Aug 20, 2016 12:43 PM in response to Baimeeker

I have a 2016 Honda Accord and use Carplay with my iPhone 6 plus for audiobooks and podcasts. Carplay works 95% of the time but the other 5% is exceedingly frustrating. The issues are: an audiobook will play but so sound, an audiobook will show on the Honda's carplay screen but the start arrow is unresponsive, an audiobook will only play until the phone goes into powersaving mode then stop, carplay will start on a random track after plugging in and very rarely, an audiobook will not start.

I can fix all of these problems by resetting my iPhone except for the random starts. These require the hunt and play method. Occasionally, I can fix the sound problem by going to a completely different book and starting it. It seems to me, in my non-technical way of thinking, that Carplay somehow corrupts something in the iPhone under certain circumstances. I can't always reproduce this, unfortunately.

I bought the Honda because it had carplay and love it (and the Accord!) most of the time but these are puzzling and frustrating problems that I hope can are fixed in iOS 10.

Aug 21, 2016 8:31 AM in response to Baimeeker

I was also going crazy trying to figure out why some things worked and others were silent (audiobooks and music). I looked through all the file details, and those with a sample rate of 22.050 kHz files always ended up being silent. Convert them to 44.1 kHz and they'll work.

Unprotected file conversion (music and audiobooks)

1: Edit -> Preferences -> Import settings -> (i like to use MP3 Encoder) -> Setting-> Custom

2: Set Sample Rate to 44.100 kHz and set bit rate to whatever you want (usually i do 256kbps for music and 128kbps for audiobooks)

3: Hit all the okays.

4: Highlight files, then Go File-> Convert -> Create MP3 Version

5: If it was an audiobook, the conversion will make it music, so select those files, right click -> get info -> if it ask if you want to edit multiple items, click edit items -> options -> media kind -> audiobook

For protected audiobooks, like Audible you have to get past the DRM, supposedly this works but I havent tried it yet https://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Tips-Guides/Mastering-audiobooks-liberating-Au dible-books/td-p/18277766

Why doesn't audiobook app in CarPlay have sound when music app does?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.