Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPod will not play sound.

My iPod will play no music or anything that has sound, so no vid capability either amongst other things. It does on occasion decide to work but only very briefly. I get the error message (-12746) when I attempt to play any music which is what I primarily got it for. It also makes a noise which sounds very much like static although not so often at the moment. It is up to date with iOS 9.2.1 and I have tried everything I can think of. Taken it back to factory settings many many times, and every combination of resetting that I can think of. It has never worked satisfactorily but for some time now it is useless to me. I would very much appreciate any help whatsoever.

iPod touch, iOS 9.2.1, 5th Gen

Posted on Feb 7, 2016 8:11 PM

4 replies

Feb 8, 2016 12:51 AM in response to dreamersshack

Is problem with headphones only?

With speaker only?

With both?

- Try cleaning out/blowing out the headphone jack. Try inserting/removing the plug a dozen times or so. There is a little switch in the headphone jack that disconnects the speaker when the headphone jack is inserted.

Fix for iphone Earphone Bug

Try the following to rule out a software problem

- Reset the iOS device. Nothing will be lost

Reset iPod touch: Hold down the On/Off button and the Home button at the same time for at

least ten seconds, until the Apple logo appears.

- Reset all settings Go to Settings > General > Reset and tap Reset All Settings.

All your preferences and settings are reset. Information (such as contacts and calendars) and media (such as songs and videos) aren’t affected.

- Restore from backup

- Restore to factory settings/new iOS device.

- Make an appointment at the Genius Bar of an Apple store. Seems you have a bad headphone jack or other hardware problem.

Apple Retail Store - Genius Bar

Feb 8, 2016 11:53 AM in response to lllaass

Thank you so much for your advice lllaass. Unfortunately it has nothing to do with the headphone socket, it will simply not play music or anything related to sound so no video facility or being able to connect with Youtube. It just comes up error. I click on a song and it just skips through the tracks without playing anything. What does this error code mean? I find not a single thing referring to it. I have done everything you suggested many times and although it might play initially after I have reset it or indeed rebuilt it from scratch, it soon reverts to being unusable which is a mystery to me and anyone from Apple I have talked to via email. It must be a hardware problem I suppose, I doubt very much there is anything else I can do manually. It is hard for me to get to an Apple store as I don't drive and frankly as it is not under warranty and Apple is under no obligation to either repair or replace it, I doubt if they will be willing to do anything. Am I the only person on the planet to have this happen? It appears so. I'm all mac and love the products but I seem to have been been unlucky with this one. I was just hoping that someone somewhere had experienced the same thing. I'd just love to get it sorted out. Thank you once again though, much appreciated and exactly what I would have suggested.

Feb 8, 2016 9:06 PM in response to lllaass

Hmm. Same error code but different symptoms. Doesn't anyone at Apple know what this error code means? Someone certainly should as a rather expensive iPod Touch is useless. I have once again taken it back to factory settings and am not going to put any music onto it. See what happens. I'm still trying every combination of things to do with it in the vain hope it realises the error of it's ways! It is actually playing radio and videos at the moment albeit with some crackling static like noises now and again. But alas I suspect it will soon revert to it's silent mode. Nothing to do with the speakers I am certain. Oh well, one lives in hope. All in all it has displayed various symptoms over the two or three years since I've had it. It's erased all my music for no apparent reason, although I've had to wipe it clean before reloading it all as it has been hiding somewhere on the pod because the storage is still taken up with it. As I said, it just wouldn't seem possible and appears to deny the laws of physics if I knew the first thing about physics. It could only happen to me. I am more than happy with my MacBook Air. Pad and Phone, but this pod has been a major disappointment. Still! I shake keep on trying. I'm nothing if not persistent.

iPod will not play sound.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.