Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Used Macbook 12 Inch Leaking Some Fluid

User uploaded file

This can be seen on the right hand side of the keyboard. I just purchased it from eBay as used but it has warranty until Nov. 2016. After putting a keyboard cover on it, I started noticing this accumulations of liquid. It keeps coming back after wiping. Should I be concerned?

Posted on Feb 7, 2016 8:31 PM

6 replies

Feb 7, 2016 8:46 PM in response to Alok4

Please make an appointment at the Apple Retail Store - Genius Bar and take it in for service. If you are not in the USA or cannot set up an appointment this way, then contact your local Apple Store directly.

Because you bought it on eBay there is a good chance it is hot (stolen.) Given its condition if you can contact the seller i would return it and get your money back. If it is still registered in someone else's name Apple will not repair it for you. The seller needs to remove it from his/her list of registered products so you can register it in your name.

Be sure to wipe the drive and reinstall OS X from your Apple ID and install your own software.

Install OS X Using Network Recovery

Be sure you have backed up your files because the following procedure will remove everything from the hard drive.

Boot to the Network Recovery Server:

Restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the COMMAND-OPTION- R keys until a globe appears on the screen. Wait patiently - 15-20 minutes - until the Recovery main menu appears.

Partition and Format the hard drive:

1. Select Disk Utility from the main menu and click on the Continue button.
  2. After DU loads select your newly installed hard drive (this is the out-dented entry with the mfgr.'s ID and size) from the left side list. Click on the Partition tab in the DU main window.
  3. Under the Volume Scheme heading set the number of partitions from the drop down menu to one. Click on the Options button, set the partition scheme to GUID then click on the OK button. Set the format type to Mac OS Extended (Journaled.) Click on the Apply button and wait until the process has completed. Quit DU and return to the main menu.

Reinstall OS X: Select Reinstall OS X and click on the Continue button. Be sure to select the correct drive to use if you have more than one.

Note: You will need an active Internet connection. I suggest using Ethernet if possible because it is three times faster than wireless.

This should restore the version of OS X originally pre-installed on the computer.

Feb 8, 2016 12:13 PM in response to Alok4

I just purchased it from eBay as used but it has warranty until Nov. 2016.

Note: If it's from a spill by a previous owner, chances are it won't be covered by the warranty. I seriously doubt that it could be coming from the batteries.

eBay, it's the service to use when you spill something on your laptop and you want to sell it before it stops working.

Used Macbook 12 Inch Leaking Some Fluid

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.