Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does my MacBook Air show up as "Simulator" under my Apple devices?

When I view my devices while signed in under my Apple ID, my MacBook Air (11-inch, Mid-2013) shows up as "Simulator" rather than "Joe's MacBook Air." All of my other devices show up with the proper name. I've searched the forums and elsewhere and can't find out any information about this. Any ideas?

MacBook Air, OS X El Capitan (10.11.3), 11-inch, Mid-2013

Posted on Feb 7, 2016 8:32 PM

12 replies

Feb 8, 2016 10:41 PM in response to Jeep2691

So if you go to System Preferences > Sharing, you see the Computer Name as "Joe's MacBook Air"? And you cannot change it there? Are you logged in as an administrator?

I also wonder why my iCloud display has different wording than yours (toward the top, under "My Devices"). Might you have one or more iOS device that is not current?

User uploaded file

Feb 9, 2016 2:38 PM in response to Jeep2691

In that System Preferences > Sharing area that you checked, where you say the name is correctly set as "Joe's MacBook Air" ...

Check the fine print immediately below your computer name, where the network name is specified. Does that show up as something like "Joes_MacBook_Air.local"?

It should. If it does not, press the "Edit" button to the right of this line and change it.

Why does my MacBook Air show up as "Simulator" under my Apple devices?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.