Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hard drive will not stay mounted

It is a WD My Book, the firmware is updated. It shows up on restart, but then disappears after 30-60 seconds.

Yet it stays mounted in safe user mode, or recovery mode.

The drive is a 3T drive and it is empty, no need to recover anything. I just need the mounting issue to be resolved. This is also the case with a brand new drive purchased today. All due to "removing" a the first mentioned disc via time machine preferences via the "remove disk" option.

imac computer just received a new core a few months ago. Also upgraded to El Capitan 10.11.3, about 2 weeks ago. I have read of someone else having this issue after upgrading. But theirs was resolved after firmware upgrade, mine was not.

iMac, OS X El Capitan (10.11.3), my book for time machine

Posted on Feb 7, 2016 8:26 PM

11 replies

Feb 7, 2016 9:00 PM in response to Schlmale

Schlmale wrote:

It is a WD My Book, the firmware is updated. It shows up on restart, but then disappears after 30-60 seconds.

Yet it stays mounted in safe user mode, or recovery mode.

The drive is a 3T drive and it is empty, no need to recover anything. I just need the mounting issue to be resolved. This is also the case with a brand new drive purchased today. All due to "removing" a the first mentioned disc via time machine preferences via the "remove disk" option.

imac computer just received a new core a few months ago. Also upgraded to El Capitan 10.11.3, about 2 weeks ago. I have read of someone else having this issue after upgrading. But theirs was resolved after firmware upgrade, mine was not.

What does "iMac computer just received a new core a few months ago." mean?

Try resetting the SMC and PRAM 2-3 times and see if that helps. Do so with all peripherals disconnected.

Intel iMac SMC and PRAM resets

Feb 8, 2016 6:41 AM in response to rkaufmann87

HI RKaufmann87!

I am working on my moms account and work on both hers and mine so often I confuse the two. I thought the motherboard and HD was replaced, but I believe it was just the HD. In fact you helped in the thread I posted about it being stuck in start up mode, when I tried every possible option and the end result was that it needed the new HD... but your advise was great. You also advised to detach peripherals which is one thing I always forget, and one issue I read someone else had after installing El Capitan with them attached. I have cleared it previously several times, but with them attached. So I will do so without. If this does not work. I will try a reinstall without them attached. I think if it does not work, I am fresh out of options.

Feb 8, 2016 11:01 AM in response to Schlmale

So I have tried all of the above, even FSCK -fy in single user mode. Still having the issue.

But due to the fact it stays mounted for any amount of time in recovery mode, leads me to believe there is something the computer is remembering after the "remove disk" option. I wonder if there is a plist I should remove, or some other setting? I also do not believe it would be the computer or drive itself, due to the fact I bought the same hard drive brand new and had the same issue.

I just know some basics, but not where to look for these things. Being that I am on vacation with family also from out of the country makes this all even more of a drag. I really have to try to resolve this without having to go take it in. Any help would be greatly appreciated! 🙂

Feb 8, 2016 11:28 AM in response to rkaufmann87

It will show up on the desktop, or if I have disk utility open. And then disappear. It will even let me start the process of using time machine, but then it will stop due to the disc ejecting. Yet in recovery mode, there is NO issue of the disk ejecting. It stays where it is for any amount of time. In normal mode, it ejects within 30-60 seconds. This is why I do not believe it is the HD or computer but some conflicting setting from "removing disk" in the time machine preferences.

Feb 8, 2016 11:35 AM in response to Schlmale

What exactly did you type for fsck in single user mode? It only fixes the boot disk unless you actually specify the external disk as an argument.

It is far easier to run it in Disk Utility in recovery mode, especially as it appears to work better in that mode for you.

I would reformat these drives in recovery mode since they contain no important data. That will cause the disks to get new IDs & may stop whatever process is trying to access them during a normal boot. Test them without encryption first. Use Mac OS Extended (journaled) volumes in a GUID (GPT) partition table, these should be the default anyway.

For rkaufmann87 here is Schlmale's other thread on this topic.

Encrypted time machine will not mount

Good luck with it & try to enjoy your vacation too 🙂

Feb 8, 2016 11:38 AM in response to Schlmale

I would recommend doing as Drew suggested, using DU in the Recovery Partition and re-format and start over.

If these are used for home use, there is likely no need to use encryption. I was not aware you had two threads on similar subjects. I recommend against doing so as it makes it very confusing for both you and the people trying to help you.

Feb 8, 2016 12:50 PM in response to rkaufmann87

Yes, I am aware and would not normally post 2 threads... but I was desperate as on first thread I had over 23 views in 6 hours with no replies before posting the second and as you see I am on a short visit. I have done the OS X on one of the drives and currently I am operating in it. I have not yet switched over. I have zero issues with the drives now. This does show it is an issue somewhere in the system. I'd love to find how removing it the way I did created the problem, but my guess is that won't happen. I am thinking the end result is I will need to do a clean install if switching back to running off the main drive will not run after I wiped the original drive utilizing OS X from the new one. But, how do I back up her computer without being able to mount the drive if it won't? Prior to a clean install?

Feb 8, 2016 1:23 PM in response to Schlmale

Posted this in the other thread. Promise won't do 2 threads again. In fact I will mark the other as "this helped me", to hopefully avoid further posting.

OK switched over.... fail, as I thought. So, do I do as I thought above? AS clean install? How do I back up her computer prior to that without being able to keep a mount on the HD?

Is there not a way to find out what is causing this error in the system? Perhaps in single or verbose mode?

Feb 8, 2016 1:31 PM in response to Drew Reece

Drew, I was grasping at straws, thought it might be an internal issue. 😐

Trying to enjoy my brief vaca.... but alas, this issue has not helped. If could back up her computer, I know I could take the last step to resolve the problem with a clean install. Now that I see booting from the hd, had zero issues. But, booting from the computer after wiping the drive still does not keep the hd mounted in order for me to back up her computer so I can do a clean install. 😠

Hard drive will not stay mounted

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.