Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Please help! Issue with QuickTime recording iPod audio?

Before beginning: I have an up-to-date 32GB 6th gen (newest) iPod Touch, and am using an Early 2015 MacBook Pro with OS X Yosemite 10.10.5. QuickTime Player is Version 10.4 (833.7).

I play an iOS game and want to record a video of my gameplay using QuickTime. What I want to record is just two things: my iPod's screen (to show the gameplay of course) and the iPod's audio (to listen to the gameplay's music, sound effects, etc.). I play using earbuds plugged into my iPod, so naturally I want to listen to the game and have the video record the game audio as well.

Unfortunately a problem occurs though. I insert my iPod into my computer, the game ready to start, and earbuds plugged in the iPod. I open QuickTime, then click "File > New Movie Recording". From the drop down menu beside the record button I click "Camera > [My]'s iPod Touch" and "Microphone > "[My]'s iPod Touch". Immediately I can't hear anything from my earbuds..! However the iPod screen emulation shows up perfectly on my MacBook.

So I press the record button anyway just to see what happens. I recorded about 20 seconds of the game and clicked stop. Funny enough, the sound returned back to my earbuds right when I stopped the recording! Regardless, I plugged the earbuds from my iPod into my MacBook and played the video I just recorded. The 20-second video had PERFECT audio, everything in the video went extremely smooth and no visual/audio issues at all.

I wanted to keep trying though, so instead of already having my earbuds in my iPod, I tried opening QuickTime with my earbuds unplugged; and then plugged them in my iPod after QT was opened. The screen emulation totally FROZE, and then unfroze when I unplugged the earbuds. Unplugging and plugging in over again gave the same results. I waited a few minutes later, then plugged my earbuds back in. Surprisingly I could finally hear the audio and the screen emulation didn't freeze, but when I pressed record, the recording was stuck on "0:00" -- and when I pressed the stop button I was given an error message saying "Cannot record "Try recording again." I tried everything again multiple times the past couple hours and nothing changed. Is there something I'm missing..?

(TL;DR) So I have to ask. Why does my iPod's QuickTime video recording play audio perfectly, but while recording I can't hear any audio through my iPod's earbuds at all? The audio returns when the recording is stopped.

Sorry for the long message, and thanks so much for reading and any help!!

Posted on Feb 7, 2016 8:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 7, 2016 11:58 PM

Why does my iPod's QuickTime video recording play audio perfectly, but while recording I can't hear any audio through my iPod's earbuds at all? The audio returns when the recording is stopped.

Your QT X recording settings tell the iPod Touch to temporarily divert the iPod Touch audio pipeline (normally sent to the internal speaker/earbud port) to the Lightning-USB connector for connection to the QT X player app during recording. When the recording process is terminated, the iPod Touch automatically reconnects the diverted audio pipeline back to the internal speaker/earbud port.

User uploaded file

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 7, 2016 11:58 PM in response to canadawolf44

Why does my iPod's QuickTime video recording play audio perfectly, but while recording I can't hear any audio through my iPod's earbuds at all? The audio returns when the recording is stopped.

Your QT X recording settings tell the iPod Touch to temporarily divert the iPod Touch audio pipeline (normally sent to the internal speaker/earbud port) to the Lightning-USB connector for connection to the QT X player app during recording. When the recording process is terminated, the iPod Touch automatically reconnects the diverted audio pipeline back to the internal speaker/earbud port.

User uploaded file

Feb 9, 2016 8:11 PM in response to Jon Walker

Thanks for the reply! So is there absolutely no way to be able to record the video with QT including the audio while still listening to it through the iPod's earbud port? I think I read before that it would work by creating a Multi-Output Device in Audio MIDI Setup with Soundflower, but after trying I'm still not sure if I either did something wrong or if using the Multi-Output Device feature for Output/Input the Sound settings is a solution for this at all..

Feb 16, 2016 4:21 PM in response to canadawolf44

So is there absolutely no way to be able to record the video with QT including the audio while still listening to it through the iPod's earbud port?

No, not through the iPod's earbud port. Most people would simply turn up the QT Player volume on the computer while recording and monitor the audio through the platform's speakers, platform's earbud port (if available), or through a USB 2.1 3D or Virtual 7.1 earbud adapter (available from Amazon in the $2 to $10 range) if no earbud port is available on the computer. These would be the simplest, most elegant solutions for most users since it does not require any software/hardware diversion of your current built-in iPod-QuickTime Player audio recording pipeline.

User uploaded file

Please help! Issue with QuickTime recording iPod audio?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.