Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help with masking the actual shape of an image

Hey guys,

I am trying to be creative, and do my son's birthday invitation, using Pages. I have version 5.2

I have multiple images currently in the invitation. I would like to overlap a star shape over another image, but as this was a downloaded image, it does this with the white background of the box (if that makes sense).

I would like to therefore 'draw' around the actual star shape, and mask the rest of it out.

I have googled, but I can't find how do do this.

Thanks heaps

Cherie

Mac Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.3)

Posted on Feb 7, 2016 10:19 PM

2 replies

Feb 8, 2016 5:16 AM in response to Stopitdog

Cherie,

This is easier to perform in the Preview application than in Pages v5.2. Put your star image on your Desktop. Right-click on it and from the pop-up menu, choose duplicate. Open that duplicate image (e.g. star copy.jpg) in Preview (just double-click it). So, I am starting with the following with this image:

User uploaded file

In Preview, press shift+command+A to Show Markup Toolbar. You will want to click on the Instant Alpha toolbar item ( circled in red).

User uploaded file

Click in the extreme upper left corner of your image. Everything may become red. Move your cross-hair ever so slightly until the yellow star is present in a sea of red background, then release the mouse button. Both the star, and its container will return to normal with the marching ants selections. (click to enlarge).

User uploaded file

Now press command+X (cut) to isolate just the star. Preview will slide down a panel and ask to convert this document to PNG (I started with a jpg). Click Convert. You will now have a star image on a transparent background. For me, I set this to light gray, but for you, it may be the familiar transparency checkerboard.

User uploaded file

Now, from the Preview File menu, you can export this to your Pictures folder, or Desktop, and drag/drop it into Pages v5.2. While it is selected, visit the Pages Arrange tab, and set Text Wrap to None. Because newly added images are in the foreground, you should have no problem dragging your new star shape over other images or artwork, providing that their Text Wrap is also set to None. The new star centered in a blue shape.

User uploaded file

Feb 8, 2016 8:10 AM in response to Stopitdog

At the bottom of your Shapes menu on the Toolbar is a Pen tool. You can trace over your scanned star shape with the Pen tool then:

Drag the image in from the Desktop (not your document) into your drawn shape and position it to match the outline.

Alternately you can drag the image into a Star shape then edit the Shape to match perfectly your imported image:

Menu > Format > Shapes and Lines > Make editable

Peter

Help with masking the actual shape of an image

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.