Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

After restoring from Time Machine, the app store no longer connects

I have a late 2009 MacBook Pro 13". After my harddisk died, I first swapped for a 1Tb hybrid disk, but wanted more speed. Last week I bit the bullet and swapped to a Samsung 850 EVO 500Gb SSD. Obviously you cannot just restore from Time Machine, as the harddisk size is different. So, I did a fresh install of OS X El Capitan and when that was finished, I went to Time Machine and restored everything to my 'new' MacBook Pro.

So far so good. Everything is on there and everything is accounted for. I am happy. Well, up to the point that I had already used my regular user account, so Apple imported my own user account but asked me to give it a different name. Fine. I decided to import it and then switch to the old account and remove the new one. Which I did.

Two things happened. First off, Office 365 went into a bit of a frenzy. Nothing worked anymore etc. But it is Office, so that was not unexpected. That question is out at Microsoft at the moment.

The second thing is much more annoying. My App Store app stays empty. The circle keeps on rotating as if it is trying to find information, but is not able to connect to the app store at all.

What is happening? How can I get this fixed? Any ideas/help/suggestions are very welcome.

MacBook Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11.3)

Posted on Feb 8, 2016 3:28 AM

7 replies

Feb 8, 2016 4:13 AM in response to arnehulstein

To fix your App Store issue try this: Launch iTunes on your Mac and go to the Advanced tab. Click: Reset warnings and Reset cache.

Now from the iTunes menu bar choose the Store menu and Sign Out.Now try the Mac App Store.

If that doesnt work quit the App Store and then open your library folder by going to the Go menu in Finder and press the Option key to reveal Library. Select it. Now go to:

~/Library/Caches/com.apple.appstore/Cache.db. Move the Cache.db file to the Trash.

~/Library/Preferences. Move the com.apple.appstore.plist and com.apple.storeagent.plist files to the Trash.

~/Library/Cookies. Move the com.apple.appstore.plist and Cookies.plist files to the Trash.

Again try launching the Mac App Store. The first option seems to do the trick for most people.

I’m rather confused by your report of what you did. You said:

Obviously you cannot just restore from Time Machine, as the harddisk size is different. So, I did a fresh install of OS X El Capitan...

But then

and when that was finished, I went to Time Machine and restored everything to my 'new' MacBook Pro.

So it sounds like you did restore from Time Machine. Does this mean you just restored your account but not the applications? Did you restore only some of the folders from your account?

And when you were finished do I understand that you deleted the account that you made immediately after you installed the operating system?

Feb 8, 2016 5:42 AM in response to dwb

Thanks dwb. I have gone over your steps, but they don't solve it for me...

I did the iTunes suggestions. No change.

Then I went to your other suggestions and found:

~/Library/Caches/com.apple.appstore/Cache.db. Move the Cache.db file to the Trash.

This file does not exist on my system.

~/Library/Preferences. Move the com.apple.appstore.plist and com.apple.storeagent.plist files to the Trash.

Only the last one existed on my system.

~/Library/Cookies. Move the com.apple.appstore.plist and Cookies.plist files to the Trash.

The whole Cookies folder does not seem to exist.

I can understand that my description of the restoring process might sound a bit strange. Let me try and break it up into pieces so I hopefully give a clearer rundown of the steps I have taken.

- Installed new harddisk in MBP

- Restart MBP with external USB

- Installed El Capitan via internet connection (Could not to do a "restore from TimeMachine" as the harddisk sizes are not the same. The last backup was only 300Gb so it would have comfortably fitted onto the disk.)

- Logged into El Capitan when finished

- Attached Time Machine drive

- Opened Data Migration

- Selected everything to restore from Time Machine (Users, apps, settings etc. The whole lot.)

- Because an account that was to be restored had the same username as the new user I had made, I had to rename the user to be imported to another name

- Waited for half a century

- Restarted the MBP

- Logged in with the renamed account

- Removed first account from users in the settings > Users and Groups menu

Done.

Or so I thought.

Feb 8, 2016 5:56 AM in response to arnehulstein

If you were able to restore from your TimeMachine backup by using Migration Assistant after installing El Capitan and creating a new account then you should have been able to do the same with Setup Assistant. There’s only one difference between Setup Assistant and Migration Assistant - SA is only run from inside the installer otherwise they are the same. By using Migration Assistant and then deleting an account you have caused a good deal of confusion. Not only does an account have an account name, it also has an ID # and your old account no longer has the same ID# that it originally did. Because this can cause problems with quite a few applications Pondini (the late great guru of TimeMachine) found it best to not migrate the master account.

What I recommend is that you wipe the machine, reinstall El Cap and then when it asks if you want to migrate data from another computer or TimeMachine, say yes and select your TimeMachine backup.

Feb 8, 2016 6:05 AM in response to dwb

Blast... So this means reinstalling the whole thing again. 😟

That's a bit of a drag. 😟 Thanks for your time in explaining this thing though.

So, how would I go about restoring the old master account then? In previous cases when I moved from a smaller harddisk to a bigger one, I could just boot the MBP from an external disk or with cmd-R and then choose to restore from Time Machine completely. This is not the case now, as I return to a disk about half the size. Even though I am only putting 300Gb of stuff on a 500Gb disk. And I would like to have my system as similar to how I left it as possible...

Suggestions are very welcome again.

Feb 8, 2016 6:42 AM in response to arnehulstein

Let’s say your computer has a 1TB drive, you have 300GB of data on it and you are installing a 500 GB SSD. It doesn’t matter that the SSD is smaller than the internal drive. All that matters is that the data on the old drive will fit on the SSD. Now if you had 700 GB on the internal drive and a 500GB SSD that would be a different story.

Feb 8, 2016 7:02 AM in response to arnehulstein

Please launch the Console application in any one of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go ▹ Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad and start typing the name.

The title of the Console window should be All Messages. If it isn't, select

SYSTEM LOG QUERIES ▹ All Messages

from the log list on the left. If you don't see that list, select

View ▹ Show Log List

from the menu bar at the top of the screen.

Click the Clear Display icon in the toolbar. Then take an action that isn't working the way you expect. Select any lines that appear in the Console window. Copy them to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C. Paste into a reply to this message by pressing command-V.

The log contains a vast amount of information, almost all of which is irrelevant to solving any particular problem. When posting a log extract, be selective. A few dozen lines are almost always more than enough.

Please don't indiscriminately dump thousands of lines from the log into this discussion.

Please don't post screenshots of log messages—post the text.

Some private information, such as your name or email address, may appear in the log. Anonymize before posting.

When you post the log extract, you might see an error message on the web page: "You have included content in your post that is not permitted," or "The message contains invalid characters." That's a bug in the forum software. Please post the text on Pastebin, then post a link here to the page you created.

If you have an account on Pastebin, please don't select Private from the Paste Exposure menu on the page, because then no one but you will be able to see it.

Feb 9, 2016 1:25 AM in response to dwb

I guess TimeMachine looks to the size of the disk as well? Maybe it makes a copy of the whole structure of the 1Tb disk and not just the data. I don't know, but it did not want to restore from TM from scratch.

Anyway, I have got a fresh install now. The biggest challenge now is to get all my settings and legacy software back up and running...

Oh, and to import my keychain. Export is grayed out on the old mac. Any suggestions? (I should really open a new topic on this, right?)

After restoring from Time Machine, the app store no longer connects

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.