Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Restore fusion drive

I have a iMac 27 Inch middle 2011, CPU 3,4 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB. I´ve done something wrong with disk utility and now I have a separate SSD and a HDD instead of a fusion drive. I´ve restored my iMac to OSX Lion and booted from a extern drive. Terminal command "diskutil coreStorage create......" ends with the message: Error: - 69886: Invalid request

How can I restore my fusion drive? Please give me a hint.

Thank You.

Mac Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Feb 8, 2016 1:20 AM

11 replies

Aug 14, 2017 12:26 PM in response to Linc Davis

Grazie.

Migliore soluzione esistente.

Apple dovrebbe inserire questo comando nell'app utility in modalità recover, visto che le partizioni eliminate non restituiscono i GB.

Sei un grande!!!!!!

--------------------------------------

Thank you.

Best Existing Solution.

Apple should put this command in the utility app in recovery mode, as deleted partitions do not return GBs.

You are a great !!!!!!

Feb 8, 2016 7:23 AM in response to jman@stetten

Please read this whole message before doing anything. If you don't feel confident that you can follow the instructions, get someone more experienced to help you. One option is to make a "Genius" appointment at an Apple Store.

This procedure applies only to an iMac or Mac mini with a factory-installed Fusion Drive.

You'll need to refer to these instructions while no web browser is running, so either print them or load them on another device before you begin.

1. All data on the internal drives will be removed, including Boot Camp data, which is not backed up by Time Machine. You need at least two complete, independent backups. One backup is not enough to be safe. There are ways to back up a computer that isn't fully functional. Ask if you need guidance.

2. Disconnect all external storage devices.

3. You'll need to start up from a Recovery system other than the one on the internal hard drive (if it has one.) There are several ways to do that.

a. If you have a local Time Machine backup (not a network backup), or a compatible installation of OS X on an external drive, then you should be able to start from it by holding down the option key at the startup chime. Select the external drive in the row of icons that appears. By "compatible," I mean an installation that can run on the machine. A version of OS X that is older than the machine is not compatible.

b. If you used Recovery Disk Assistant (or can use it now) to prepare a Recovery system on a USB flash drive, you can start from that by holding down the C key at the chime. No icons will appear. Startup will be much slower than usual.

c. Start up in Internet Recovery mode by holding down the key combination command-option-R at the startup chime. Release the keys when you see a spinning globe. Select a language, if prompted.

Note: You need an always-on Ethernet or Wi-Fi connection to the Internet to use the network features of Recovery. It won’t work with USB or PPPoE modems, or with proxy servers, or with networks that require a certificate for authentication.

What happens next depends on what version of Recovery you're running.

☞ If the machine came with OS X 10.10 ("Yosemite"), 10.9 ("Mavericks"), or 10.8 ("Mountain Lion"), and you're in Internet Recovery, please take Step 4a and skip Step 4b.

☞ Otherwise, skip Step 4a and go to Step 4b.

If you don't know what version of OS X the machine came with, look it up on this page.

After taking whichever of those steps is applicable, you should have an empty Fusion Drive named "Macintosh HD" on which you can carry out either Step 7a or Step 7b.

4a. Repair the Fusion Drive (see under "Troubleshooting" on the linked page.) Quit Disk Utility and go to Step 7a or Step 7b. Skip Steps 4b, 5, and 6.

4b. In the OS X Utilities screen, select Get Help Online. Safari will launch. While in Recovery, you'll have no access to your bookmarks, but you won't need them. Load this web page.

5. Triple-click anywhere in the line below to select it:

N=Macintosh\ HD; for d in /dev/disk?; do o=`diskutil info $d`; [[ ! "$SSD" ]] && grep -lqw 'APPLE SSD' <<< "$o" && SSD=$d; [[ ! "$HDD" ]] && grep -lqw 'APPLE HDD' <<< "$o" && HDD=$d; [[ "$SSD" && "$HDD" ]] && break; done; diskutil cs create "$N" $SSD $HDD && diskutil cs createLV "$N" jhfs+ "$N" 100%

This is a very long line, and you may not see all of it on the web page. Be sure to select the whole line, not just the part you can see.

Copy the selected text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C.

Quit Safari. You'll be returned to the OS X Utilities screen.

6. From the menu bar, select

Utilities Terminal

The Terminal application will launch. Paste into the Terminal window by pressing the key combination command-V. Wait for a new line ending in a hash sign (#) to appear. If nothing happens, press the return key.

Quit Terminal to be returned to the main screen.

7a. If you have a Time Machine backup, connect the backup device and restore your data. If you backed up to a network device such as a Time Capsule, it should be connected automatically.

7b. If you don't have a Time Machine backup, or if you can't restore from the Time Machine backup that you do have, install OS X. Restore the data afterwards in Migration Assistant.

In Internet Recovery mode, you'll be installing the original version of OS X that shipped with the machine. If you've upgraded the OS in the App Store, you'll need to do that again.

Sep 9, 2016 9:59 AM in response to Linc Davis

Hi Linc. If I could have given you an "Incredibly Helpful" tick for this procedure I would have done. I somehow wiped my Mac Mini fusion drive. When I tried to boot up, I just got a circle with a diagonal line through it. I tried recovering from OS X Utilities in Internet Recovery, but when It got to the point of choosing which disk to recover to, no disk was shown. I also tried cloning from a Carbon Copy Cloner backup, but again it couldn't find a disk to clone to. I used Disk Utility on the clone and it could see the Apple HDD Media on the Mac Mini, but there was no Macintosh HD Volume indented underneath it, as there normally is. As a last resort before taking it to an Apple Genius, I did a search of the internet and found this page, followed your instructions and that recovered the Macintosh HD volume on the fusion drive. I was then able to clone the backup to that volume. So, you and CCC "saved my bacon". Many thanks.

Nov 20, 2016 1:19 PM in response to Linc Davis

Hi (not only) Linc...

my FusionDrive went wrong after stuck up during BootCamp partitionig - I lost some space on hard drive.

I have succsesfully repaired FusionDrive with appropriate sizes ofo all disks and partitions (your 4a point)

But..

1. after that my imac wasn't able to load timecapsule backup (i could see timemachine folder, even choose wich backup i want to restore)

2. so i tried to Install Maverick OSX (the one which my imac came) a hoped to either restore my backup after i install clean version of OSX or upgrade from that mavericks back to my macOS Sierra... Niether of these helped (mavericks naturally cant see sierra backup and whats surprised me appstore told OS Sierra is INSTALLED??)

3. went back to Internet Recovery - erased "Macintosh HD" to have it clean and tried restore timemachine through Internet Recovery again - it takes 5 hours to restore and finally i can't see any booting disk...

I was runnig Windows 10 on BOOTCAMP (and wanted to reinstal it to have more space)

(moreover I made startup USB from macOS sierra intallation but somehow i cant boot from that USB

Any ideas here?

(iMac 27¨ late 2013, 1TB FusionDrive, macOS Sierra + timecasule 2TB)

Robin

Restore fusion drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.