Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Zooming in when composing email

When writing an email to be sent, how do I zoom in on the message without changing the font? Using Arial 12 is difficult to read when writing an email to be sent.

MacBook Air, OS X El Capitan (10.11.3)

Posted on Feb 8, 2016 12:37 AM

1 reply

Feb 9, 2016 9:07 AM in response to GabeH508

Hi GabeH508,

If you don't want to change the size of the font when you are typing your email message, you can use the zoom accessibility feature found in your System Preferences to zoom into any screen.

OS X El Capitan: Make it easier to see what’s on the screen

Use zoom

Zoom in on the screen: Choose Apple menu > System Preferences, click Accessibility, then click Zoom.

• When “Use keyboard shortcuts to zoom” is selected, you can zoom by pressing Option-Command-Equal Sign to zoom in, and Option-Command-Minus to zoom back out.

• When “Use scroll gesture with modifier keys to zoom” is selected, you can zoom in by holding down the Control key (or another modifier key) and swiping up with two fingers on your trackpad.

For more information, see Zoom pane of Accessibility preferences.

Accessibility

Zoom

Zoom is a powerful built-in magnifier that lets you enlarge your screen up to 20 times, so you can better see what’s on the display. You can use it full screen or picture-in-picture, allowing you to see the zoomed area in a separate window while keeping the rest of the screen at its native size. The hardware acceleration engine lets you boost the size of everything on your screen — text on a web page, family photos, a place on a map.

However, for the Mail app specifically, I like to set my font size to a size that is easy to read onscreen when composing. Then, choose Edit > Select All and change the font size back to 12 before sending it. It's all a matter of personal preference.

Hope that helps ...

Zooming in when composing email

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.