Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ios5 update failed and restore failed

Has anyone found a solution to this?

I work for a small school in Japan. We were donated ipad2s for our students, but all of them are running ios4 which does not allow us to download any of the apps we need to use for teaching. So, I attempted to update the ipad, but itunes said it required a restore. So, I attempted to restore it. Now it is stuck in the restore mode, and apple will not recognize the ipad.

Our school does not have the funds to buy new ipads nor to get them fixed at the store.

Does anyone have a solution to this problem?

Yes- it is connected directly to itunes.

Yes- itunes is recently downloaded with all recent updates

We have tried it on multiple computer with multi ipads and the same thing occurs. (all PC computers by thinkpad)

I even created a new apple account specifically for the school and connected that to itunes.

Any help would be much appreciated, by the staff and the students.

Thank you!

iPad 2, iOS 4, I am not certain which iOS4

Posted on Feb 8, 2016 1:10 AM

2 replies

Feb 8, 2016 2:43 AM in response to KHWICS

What version of iTunes is installed?

What OS and version on the computer(s)?

The latest iTunes version depends upon the OS and version.

iOS 9.2.1, the iOS version yo have to update requires iTunes 12.3 which requires OSX 10.8.5 or later or Win 7 or later.

If you have the iTunes 12.3 then:

- iOS: Not responding or does not turn on

- Also try DFU mode after try recovery mode

How to put iPod touch / iPhone into DFU mode « Karthik's scribblings

- If not successful and you can't fully turn the iOS device fully off, let the battery fully drain. After charging for an least an hour try the above again.

- Try another cable

- Try on another computer

- If still not successful that usually indicates a hardware problem and an appointment at the Genius Bar of an Apple store is in order.

Apple Retail Store - Genius Bar

ios5 update failed and restore failed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.