Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro screen lines

Hi,

I started my 15" Macbook pro as usual today and there were horizontal lines moving and making the bottom of the screen almost unusable. Then I restarted, and it happened again but after a little bit the screen went back to normal.

Now it is still normal although there´s a not very noticeable vertical line moving along this browser window, for ezample. And I can only see it in certain parts of the screen when I move the browser or any other window. I tried to take a screenshot but interestingly in won't appear in the screenshot.

This happened automatically. I hardly move the laptop and I´m always very careful. Just to give more information, the whole screen was replaced last summer because there were stains coming out.

Does anybody know what this can be? Will I have to replace the whole screen again? I don´t have apple care anymore, any idea of the price that this can cost me? (the computer has 1 year and a half only!)

Many thanks!

m

MacBook Pro with Retina display, null

Posted on Feb 7, 2016 11:47 PM

5 replies

Feb 8, 2016 12:21 AM in response to mglezariza

From what you say, it looks like your screen is damaged again because the stains do not appear in the screenshot (if they were, it would be a GPU problem). Unfortunately, you have to take the Mac to an Apple Store or reseller, but I'm afraid you will have to pay for the repair.

(Another option you may consider is to connect the MacBook to an external display so you can carry on using it).

Feb 8, 2016 1:37 AM in response to mende1

Thanks for the reply. As you said is most likely a hardware problem. As I said I don't move the laptop very much and this happened this morning (yesterday was everything ok).

In any case, as I said, last year I had the "stain problem" and using the Apple care they replaced the whole screen in June. I can't find the receipt but I remember there was a period of time with extended care. Does anybody know the rules?

Finally, the screen itself shouldn't be damaged. It was working perfect. So if is something easy (like reconnecting the screen. Will Apple care still have to replace the whole screen?

Feb 8, 2016 11:47 AM in response to OGELTHORPE

Thanks for the advice. It is a 2014 15" macbook pro so it looks this won't apply unfortunately.

I went to the reseller where they replaced the screen last summer (with apple care, I didn´t pay anything). They say it might be the screen because I connected the mac to an external screen and I couldn´t see the lines. They say they can check for 68 euros to diagnose and if the screen needs to be replaced it will cost 900 euros!

The weird thing is that now back home everything is perfect, no lines and no problems. Like nothing happened. Then I realised that when pressing a bit on the right corner few black vertical lines in the right side appear. But they are almost not noticeable.

Since I bought it in summer 2014, the minimum two-year guarantee period applies. Shouldn't they replace it. As I said, I didn´t do anything and there´s obviously no cracks or anything at all.

Feb 8, 2016 11:56 AM in response to mglezariza

mglezariza wrote:

Since I bought it in summer 2014, the minimum two-year guarantee period applies. Shouldn't they replace it. As I said, I didn´t do anything and there´s obviously no cracks or anything at all.

That is a judgement call, I will not comment on it since I cannot witness the situation myself. If available and convenient, I would bring it to an Apple store and have them look at it. Genius bar evaluations are FREE. (A second opinion can often be useful.)

Ciao.

Macbook Pro screen lines

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.