Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IPP swipe right multitask issues in landscape

Brand new IPad Pro (IPP) bought yesterday February 7th, and while in landscape with home button on the right, the swipe right to enable split screen or side by side not working reliably If at all. This would be the normal position if I was using the smart keyboard, but I'm not using the smart keyboard. I never had this issue with the Air2. If I place the iPad in landscape and the home button is on the left, swipe right works fine. It also works fine in portrait. Is this by design or is there an issue with my brand new IPP with 128GB and cellular?

iPad, iOS 9.2, iPad pro 128GB wifi+cellular

Posted on Feb 8, 2016 1:35 AM

13 replies

Feb 8, 2016 3:05 AM in response to Dartsrus

The manual only says sliding from right to left

Open a side app. When using an app, swipe left from the right-edge of the screen.

Switch to a different side app. Swipe down from the top edge of the screen.

Close the side app. Tap the app on the left, or swipe right from the app divider.

Turn Slide Over off. Go to Settings > General > Multitasking, then turn off Allow Multiple Apps.

I also have a 128 Gb iPad Pro and I can't sliced from left to right with either landscape orientation

Feb 8, 2016 9:10 AM in response to lllaass

IT seems I worded my problem incorrectly. When I said swipe right, I meant swiping the right side of the screen to the left, sorry about that. So when I swipe left from the right side, when the home button is on the right, the app divider doesn't open at all or on random occations, it will open but it's not predictable. It works just fine if any other edge is on the right, just not when the home button is on the right.

Feb 8, 2016 1:58 PM in response to lllaass

I Just checked it and it doesn't seem to help by removing the case (something I didn't check, so good thought) and I'm not using a screen protector at all, so with bare screen and no case, I'm still having an issue swiping left from the right side to activate split screen. I have discovered that if I swipe rapidly multiple times, I can get it into split screen, but I know that's not normal.☹️

Mar 3, 2016 7:06 PM in response to Dartsrus

I also faced the same problem and when i took it to service center they told that its hardware issue and replaced a new one. But unfortunately, the new one also had the same issue and this time the service personnel advised me that this is definitely a software issue not all devices can have hardware issue. They asked me to wait for an official apple update or fix sometime in late march. I spoke to the apple support iOS senior technical advisor and explained the issue. he asked me to capture video of the issue and send so that apple can look into it and fix. I have mailed the video yesterday and waiting for the reply.

Mar 4, 2016 1:06 AM in response to ItsDarts

Below is the mail i replied to apple support. Hope you have same issues which i have listed. You can check the video to confirm.

###########################

Hi Taigan,

I tried factory reset several times but the issue still remains the same and as discussed over the phone i have captured video of the issue which will clearly shows the problem.

1. Notification center (Top-Down) closing issue in portrait mode
2. Control center (Bottom-Up) not opening. Opens very rarely after several swipe all over the bottom area
3. Split screen mode - Unable to open in Landscape mode (Again its the same bottom area that causes above two issues)

All 3 listed above can be seen in the video that i have uploaded in dropbox.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6p7y00k893ze7l2/Ipad%20pro.mp4?dl=0

Please check and provide an update as quick as possible.

Regards,
Kathir

###########################

Mar 4, 2016 9:25 AM in response to Kathirselvan

TThis is the exact same issue, thank you for making the video. I hope its software related and the next update can fix it because I have too much work data on here to have to replace. I know I can back it up but for all the data I have, I'm trying to avoid replacement. I use my IPP in landscape with the home button to the right 99% of the time so it really on affects me when multitasking, but I have been able to live with it. I found that if I swipe left rapidly and repeatedly from right where the home button is I can pull out the side panel for multitasking. It's just really annoying considering the price we paid. Thanks again for the perfect demonstration of this issue.

Apr 7, 2016 9:24 AM in response to Dartsrus

I just got a new IPAD Pro this week and spent a bit of time trying to figure out why multitasking doesn't work. It turns out that, as is described in thrs thread it does work, except when I use landscape and have the button on the right side. In fact the swipe doesn't work in any position were you are swiping in from the button side. For example, if you hold it in portrait with the button on the top and try to swipe the top menu down it doesn't work.

Going to take it in to the Apple store, but given this thread I'm not confident in a quick solution.

Apr 7, 2016 9:51 AM in response to jeanphilli

I had the same issue and took mine to the Apple store once I noticed it. Short answer is that they replaced mine after seeing the problem and my new IPP doesn't have the same issue.

But I did see some other strange but related issues with the old, problematic IPP. The Apple store rep understood it was definitely a hardware issue when I showed him everything. Thought I'd put these out there in case it may help when talking to the Apple store genius reps:

Swiping from the home button area to bring out control center (in portrait mode) or multitasking (in landscape mode) didn't work only when I unlocked the device using touch id. If i unlocked the device by entering my password, the swipes worked fine.

When the swipe didn't work, if I went into the Notes App (or any drawing app), and tried drawing around the edges of the screen with my finger, I found that the bottom inch of the screen near the home button just wasn't properly registering input. If I tried to draw with my finger at the bottom edge of the screen (near the home button), instead of drawing a line where I placed my finger, the line ended up an inch above my finger.

When I went took the device to the Apple store, I showed them all of the above. The rep had me do a full software wipe, and the ipad still showed the same problems. So at that point he brought out a replacement which has been working fine.

Hope that helps.

Jun 20, 2016 2:08 AM in response to Dartsrus

Hi All,

Good News !!! Today i received a replacement ipad pro as my touch id was not working. Fortunately, the new one doesn't have the notification bar and control center swipe issue which i reported earlier in this thread with a video. Software version updated is 9.3.2 and am not sure if they fixed anything in the hardware.

People who still have the swipe issue, please report and get a replacement.

thanks

IPP swipe right multitask issues in landscape

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.