Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My rescue email address is an old email that doesn't exist anymore. This is preventing me from resetting my password for iMessage. What do I do?

Hello

I was trying to log on to iMessage and have forgotten my password.

I forgot the answers to one of my two security questions.

My rescue email address is an old email that doesn't exist anymore.

This is preventing me from resetting my password for iMessage.

What do I do?

Best

Peter

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Feb 8, 2016 2:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 8, 2016 8:29 AM

So, your password for Messages is the Apple ID password that you are signed into Messages with, unless you are using Two-Step Verification, in which case, it would be an App-specific password that you can generate at any time.

Are you saying that you have forgotten your Apple ID password? Or, are you using Two-Step?

Cheers,

GB

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 8, 2016 8:29 AM in response to PStranks

So, your password for Messages is the Apple ID password that you are signed into Messages with, unless you are using Two-Step Verification, in which case, it would be an App-specific password that you can generate at any time.

Are you saying that you have forgotten your Apple ID password? Or, are you using Two-Step?

Cheers,

GB

Feb 9, 2016 8:12 AM in response to gail from maine

Hi There

Thank you for responding.

My Apple I.D. works, or I couldn't be emailing you. I don't believe that it is a two step security but I am unsure. It could well be.

I tried to reset my iMessage password, which for some reason was different than my Apple I.D. I should have had Apple email me but instead went to answer my two security questions and for some reason, the second answer was wrong. So they said they would email me but did so on an old email that was discontinued some time ago that I was unaware they even knew about.

So I would like Apple to know and not use this defunct email, I would like to reset my security questions and what I would really like to do is reset my password for iMessage.

Thank you

Peter

Feb 9, 2016 10:48 AM in response to PStranks

The question is - what ID is sigined into Messages? Settings>Messages>Send & Receive. What Apple ID do you see there? If it is the same Apple ID that you are using here, then you likely are using Two-Step, which requires an App-specific password with your Apple ID when signing into Messages (not your normal Apple ID password).

You can find out quick enough if you have Two-Step by signing into your Apple ID on a computer: Apple - My Apple ID. If you have Two-Step, it will say it right there in the Security section.

If you are using Two Step, then you want to follow the instructions here for using an App-specific password:

Using app-specific passwords - Apple Support

If you are not using Two Step, you need to contact Apple Support to have your Security Questions reset:

ACCOUNT SECURITY SUPPORT

Cheers,

GB

Feb 10, 2016 12:34 PM in response to gail from maine

Hi

Thank you for being so patient with me.

I am not doing the two step. It is definitely the single. I did get my security questions to work.

When I go to sign into messenger now, it asked me to reset my login keychain, which I am reluctant to do as it says it will wipe out everything when I do. So I cancel that and try to login to messanger and it says bad network connection, try again.

It is very frustrating.

Best

p

My rescue email address is an old email that doesn't exist anymore. This is preventing me from resetting my password for iMessage. What do I do?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.