Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When I delete a photo from my phone, it deletes from my MacBook Air. What can I do to save a photo permanently?

When I delete a photo from my phone, it deletes from my MacBook Air. What can I do to save a photo permanently on my laptop?

Mac OS X (10.5.6)

Posted on Feb 8, 2016 3:58 AM

2 replies

Feb 8, 2016 4:20 AM in response to orgnz4u

That is the expected behavior if you are using iCloud Photo Library.

iCloud Photo Library FAQ - Apple Support

iCloud Photo Library stores all of your original photos and videos in iCloud, but we always recommend you keep back up copies of your Library. You can download your photos and videos from iCloud to your computer and store them as a separate library, transfer them to your computer with iTunes, or store them on a separate drive.

Feb 8, 2016 4:41 AM in response to orgnz4u

What can I do to save a photo permanently on my laptop?

Are you using iCloud Photo Library as Demo implied?

iCloud Photo Library is syncing your devices with iCloud. The synced photo libraries on all devices will always be showing exactly the same photos. To store more photos on your Mac than on your iPhone create a second photos library on your Mac that is not syncing with iCloud and move all photos to that second library, before you delete them from your iCloud Photo Library.

See this Help page: https://help.apple.com/photos/mac/1.0/?lang=en#/pht6d60b524

Or, don't delete any photos from your iPhone at all. If you are using the option "Optimize Storage" on your phone, Photos will replace the full resolution photos by smaller versions and download the originals from iCloud, so you should never run out of storage.

When I delete a photo from my phone, it deletes from my MacBook Air. What can I do to save a photo permanently?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.