Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone will pair with iMac but immediately drop

Hi gang, I seem to be having an issue trying to pair my iPhone 6 (9.2.1) to an iMac (27" late 2013). I've actually had it connected before to this iMac and handoff was working, etc. So I'm not sure what has changed.

I go into bluetooth preferences on the iMac, and my iPhone shows up in the list. I click "Pair" and it has the 6 digit code pop up on my iPhone to confirm that it is correct, etc. I tap Pair on the iPhone and for about a second it shows "iPhone" on the iMac as "connected", but then is switches to "Not Connected".

Also, if I then try to connect manually on the iPhone, it says "iMac not supported" and then has me remove the pairing.

I'm guessing it's the iPhone since it happens on 2 separate Macs. I have no problem connecting the iPhone to any other devices. I tried reseting my network preferences and then all preferences, but that didn't work. Anyone have ideas on this?

Thanks.

iPhone 6, iOS 9.2.1, null

Posted on Feb 8, 2016 5:56 AM

7 replies

Feb 8, 2016 7:47 AM in response to David Weaver3

David Weaver3 wrote:

Oh maybe that's it! lol Well I thought handoff and continuity used bluetooth. Is it just using wifi then (as long as the iPhone and iMac are using the same network)?

Handoff and Continuity require the Bluetooth be turned on on both devices. However, it's used for discovery purposes only. You never have to pair or connect them.

iPhone will pair with iMac but immediately drop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.