Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to restore a folder using Time Machine

Somehow the Documents folder which contains all my files has disappeared from the left hand panel of folder. Ther is still a folder of that name there but it only contains a few files. So I thought I would do a full restore from from backup hard drive. It proceeded okay but it didn't bring back my original Documents folder.

Now to the reason for this post. I thought perhaps I could go back in Time Machine, select a previous time/date and then select Documents folder and restore. But cannot select the folder and Restore button is greyed out. Can anyone help please. Regarms, Graham

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Feb 8, 2016 5:16 AM

5 replies

Feb 8, 2016 6:30 PM in response to Eric Root

HI Eric,

thanks for your input, and yes I can see all the mounted volumes. I have Time Capsule plus another external hard drive and Time Machine backs up to both alternately.

By the way I just noticed that my post shows me as using OS X 10.6.7 which must be a carryover from previous postings, as I am currently using OS X 10.11.3.

Normally in Finder in the Sidebar listed under Favorites there was a folder called Documents which was the main way I accessed all my documents which numbered in excess of 500,000 files and now the folder and files have disappeared. There is also another Documents file further down in Favorites which I think is a sub folder under my Username, but this only contains about 39 files.

So my problem is how can I restore the Documents folder that contains (in many sub folders) the 500,000 files from my Time Machine backups.

I have selected the Documents folder in Finder and selected the only Documents folder that appears and then entered Time Machine and selected a time just prior to when the problem first arose yesterday and selected Restore. I have done this several times and in each case when I go out of Time Machine and open Finder the Document folder just shows the same 39 files as before.

So I am at a loss as to what to do next to retrieve all the 500,000 files. Any assistance or suggestions would be very welcome.

Regards, Graham

Feb 10, 2016 4:26 AM in response to Eric Root

Hi Eric,

Thank you for your continued interest and assistance. All the files and subfolders in the Document folder that have gone missing are extremely valuable to me both for business and family reasons, so I am happy to take small steps at a time so as to not endanger ultimate recovery of the files.

Sorry my responses are long but I am trying to make my explanations as clear as possible.

In Finder in the Sidebar under favorites there is a Documents folder that currently only contains the 39 files. Also under Favorites, if I click on my Home (grahamtaylor) folder there is a Documents folder listed and it contains the same 39 files. Also under Devices if I click on Macintosh HD > Users > Home (grahamtaylor) folder there is a Documents folder with the same 39 files, so I think this Document folder is one and the same, just accessed 3 different ways.

I have also noticed under Users there is another folder called grahamtaylor1 and within that folder there is another documents folder with a red minus sign in the bottom corner. I tried clicking on this folder and got the message "The folder "Documents" can't be opened because you don't have permission to see its contents". Could this folder contain all my missing files and if so how do I access it? I have included a screen shot to illustrate what I am trying to explain.

User uploaded file

In answer to your question about searching for Documents using the search function when in Time Machine. With Documents selected in Finder and on entering Time Machine there is one folder with the 39 files. Alternatively, if I select my home (grahamtaylor) folder and search for documents it finds about 125 Documents folders, most of which are empty and appear to be associated with various programs. There is, of course, the folder containing the 39 files listed.

Finally do you think if I removed the 39 files and saved them elsewhere, so the Documents folder was empty, then selected the folder in Finder and entered Time Machine chose a time date in the past and tried to Restore it might work?

Once again thanks for your input, it is really appreciated.

Regards,

Graham

Feb 12, 2016 5:06 AM in response to grahamfromdee why

Hi Eric,

I hope you are still able to assist me.

I have resolved the issue I mentioned concerning a Documents folder I was not able to issue only to find it contained only one very old PDF file. And here was me hoping the folder might have contained all my missing files.

I opened Finder and selected my Documents file (Macintosh HD > Users > Home (grahamtaylor) folder> Documents folder) that now only contains 39 files. I then entered Time Machine and started going back through the backups. Initially there was the same 39 files and as I went further back the number of files dwindled down to one file and the next backup showed all the missing files and folders - but I was now looking at a backup from 2nd April 2015 at 3:26 AM!

Yet my problem occurred only 5 days ago (8th February 2016). Up until then I had been regularly accessing and adding to the files and folders in my Documents. It all seems very bizarre.

I suppose I could restore the files from the 2nd April 2015 backup but that means I have lost all the work, additions, etc that I have made in the last 10 months.

Any ideas anyone?

Regards,

Graham

How to restore a folder using Time Machine

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.