Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Son remotely wiped phone lost 95 percent of pictures. iCloud failed to make backups

Had iPhones for years so I'm not a novice but I kept getting error 54 on iTunes with last phone after 2 years and now on the new one since I got it. Tried everything to reinstall, Apple drivers etc. ICloud made one backup a few days after I got phone then for some reason didn't make anymore. My son accidentally remote wiped my phone and I've lost all vacation, Christmas pics from last few months. Is there anyway to get them back from Apple? not through standard means I mean as far as paying to have it recovered

Posted on Feb 8, 2016 4:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 8, 2016 8:15 AM

Hi

Go to iCloud check when your last backup was made since ios 7

When you charge an lphone/ iPad it should backup to iCloud over your WiFi .

Cheers

Brian

10 replies

Feb 8, 2016 6:30 AM in response to Kucarachi

Kucarachi wrote:

Had iPhones for years so I'm not a novice but I kept getting error 54 on iTunes with last phone after 2 years and now on the new one since I got it. Tried everything to reinstall, Apple drivers etc. ICloud made one backup a few days after I got phone then for some reason didn't make anymore. My son accidentally remote wiped my phone and I've lost all vacation, Christmas pics from last few months. Is there anyway to get them back from Apple? not through standard means I mean as far as paying to have it recovered

This is a very, very slim chance that Apple may be able to recover a recently deleted iCloud backup. You should contact Apple support and ask them for help.

Feb 8, 2016 7:24 AM in response to KiltedTim

I guess my wife was looking for her phone a few days before that and used his ipad. it used to log you out after awhile I guess now on 9.0 and higher it stays logged in. He is 6 and wanted to make my phone beep and hit the button next to it. It's kind of ridiculous that anyone thats part of your network can do that with one button. There should be a safety feature where you can enter your password on the phone to stop this from happening. It went from fully loaded to deleted in 10 seconds while I was out shopping and he was at home. I had iCloud on and I don't understand why it made one backup a few days after I bought it then never did again.

Feb 8, 2016 7:29 AM in response to Briansyddall

It says only one backup was made even though iCloud was on. I think iTunes messed it up when it kept saying error 54 or error 50. This is frustrating since the whole reason I got this phone instead of an expensive camera was to use it for our vacation pictures. I've had iPhone 4, 5 and now 6 plus and this is the first time iCloud has some this.

Feb 8, 2016 11:13 AM in response to AmishCake

The photos weren't on the iPad. They were on my phone which he has never touched. His iPad has a few basic things on it. its password protected for buying apps that arent free. We put the find my iPhone app on it in case we lost our phones and needed it to find them. that app used to log out after 20 min or so then you had to log back in to use it to track again. Apparently very recently it's changed to where you log in and it stays logged in indefinitely. Even at that a 6 year old was able to figure out how to find my phone out of 2 iPads, 2 phones and 3 old phones that are on the network and erase it. We share the same iTunes account so we don't have to pay for the same apps over and over. My point about security is that you should not be able to erase someone's phone without having to put in the password for the phone. If it's your phone you should know the password. If it's not then why are you erasing it? this would be like being able to change someone's password when they hand you an already unlocked phone without knowing the old password.

Feb 8, 2016 1:07 PM in response to KiltedTim

I can pull it up anytime and it stays on. Hours, days, even weeks in between and it's still logged in. Even if i hard reset it. This has been happening for months with our apple products? It does not log off until i manually make it. Not sure if it's a glitch but i can assure you 100 percent that this is happening on at least my phone and his Ipad. I have since deleted that app from his Ipad but it's a little too late for what he's already erased.

Feb 8, 2016 1:10 PM in response to Kucarachi

Tsssssssssssohhhhhh no. Don't share an account like that with a six year old!

At this point, you might be able to obtain those photos from iCloud provided you had iCloud photo library turned on. Aside from that though, you'll have to just take preventive steps to ensure this doesn't happen again.

Get your son his own appleID, specifically for iCloud. That way you can still share your appleID with him as an iTunes account but he will not be able to affect your iCloud information again!

Son remotely wiped phone lost 95 percent of pictures. iCloud failed to make backups

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.