Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

SSD+El Cap Upgrade on MBP Intel Core2 Duo?

Hi,

My partner has a really slow 13" Mid 2010 Build MBP running Yosemite.

Her Processor is a 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Running 4GB of RAM

I am just about to take the plunge and order the Crucial BX100 SSD HD with 250GB capacity and install this as the new boot drive, whilst doing a fresh install of the OS and only reinstalling essential apps to the main boot drive. She will then run all her files from the original HD, with the exception of any PSDs / TIFs etc that she is working on there and then that will benefit from being worked on from the SSD.

I have promised her that this will transform her system. As a designer she is using Photoshop, InDesign and Illustrator daily and they run drastically slowly. It is beyond the joke and really it is costing her huge amounts in time and starting to delay paid work.

Whilst I understand that there is room for an additional 4GB of RAM with this machine, given a small budget, which is the best route SSD or RAM? And will the system run much faster?

Thank you.

Mac Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5), MBP 13" Mid 2010 Intel Core 2 Duo

Posted on Feb 8, 2016 5:31 AM

4 replies

Feb 8, 2016 7:09 AM in response to OGELTHORPE

Thanks for the reply OGELTHORPE. I wasn't aware of OWC, that is diamond information about the 16GB RAM upgrade.

On this occasion, the budget only really allows for one upgrade or the other. Ultimately I am trying to get the largest margin of improvement from around £60-70 and that wont stretch to both RAM and SSD. Any idea which is likely to bring the biggest improvement in performance?

Thank you.

SSD+El Cap Upgrade on MBP Intel Core2 Duo?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.