Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac 10.4 - Disk utility erase option is greyed out. How can erase my hard drive?

Hi,

I Have a iMac 10.4 - In the Disk utility option, the erase option is greyed out. How can erase my hard drive?

Posted on Feb 8, 2016 5:37 AM

24 replies

Feb 8, 2016 6:22 AM in response to GJuss

GJuss wrote:

Hi,

I Have a iMac 10.4 - In the Disk utility option, the erase option is greyed out. How can erase my hard drive?

Which version of OS X are you running? Do you mean that you are running Mac OS 10.4?

If you are, your iMac is probably too old to have the recovery mode option. You will need to boot from the original DVD that came with the iMac or an external drive with a valid Mac OS installed.

Let's step back a moment. Why do you want to erase your boot drive?

Feb 8, 2016 7:23 AM in response to dialabrain

dialabrain wrote:

GJuss wrote:

Should it make any difference the fact i'm using 10.4?

There is no Recovery Mode for OSX 10.4. You would need the original OSX 10.4 install disks in order to erase the drive. You might be able to erase it using a second Mac but OSX 10.4 is so old I'm not sure about that. Which iMac is it?

That is untrue, Recovery mode is present on all versions of OS X from 10.7 to the current release. So 10.4 is included.

Just ignore the preceding, it's rubbish.

Feb 8, 2016 7:24 AM in response to Csound1

Csound1 wrote:

That is untrue, Recovery mode is present on all versions of OS X from 10.7 to the current release. So 10.4 is included.

Sorry Csound1

I think that you need to grab a cup of coffee this morning. 🙂

10.4 was 6 years before 10.7. Recovery mode is not in 10.4.

10.7 was released in 2011.

10.4 was released in 2005.

iMac 10.4 - Disk utility erase option is greyed out. How can erase my hard drive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.