Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Snow Leopard and Chrome with Time Machine Backup and File Vault

Hello,

I have to upgrade my Mac Book Pro currently running OSX 10.6.8, 4 GB, 2.8 GHz original Mac Book Pro due to pending issues of unsupported Chrome browser given my school uses Google drive, mail, etc.😟

All is functioning well, and I use this beloved machine for simple browsing, and personal files, pictures, limited iTunes from home.

Most of my portable, daily grunt work must be on the "other" platform.

Barring any catastrophic hardware issues, I just need to keep my Mac updated and running for Chrome and backed up until I go

for my next Mac hardware "investment" in another year or two.

1. What "next OSX" do you recommend for min. user learning curve, least expense, and simplicity for the short term?

2. Can someone add the steps using Time Machine back up on external drive (as discussed under "Back up first for upgrade 10.6.8 to latest") to account for encrypted files. Procedurally I encrypted my user account using File Vault when I first set up my Mac.

I'm getting a message that File Vault won't allow a Time Machine backup when I'm logged in as the user... so I assume I need another step or two ADDED to the Time Machine instructions under that previous post or a link reference to where that added issue is discussed.

Thanks in advance.

<.\/

<'/\

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6)

Posted on Feb 8, 2016 6:09 AM

5 replies

Feb 8, 2016 8:00 AM in response to 2010Kat

Check that your computer is compatible with Mountain Lion/Mavericks/Yosemite/El Capitan.

To check the model number hold down the option/alt key, go to the Apple menu and select System Information.

MacBook Pro (Mid/Late 2007 or newer) model number 3,1 or higher.

Your Mac needs:

OS X v10.6.8 or OS X Lion already installed

2 GB or more of memory (More is better - 4 GB minimum seems to be the consensus)

8 GB or more of available space

Check to make sure your applications are compatible. PowerPC applications are no longer supported after 10.6.

Application Compatibility

Applications Compatibility (2)

El Capitan 10.11 Compatibility information

What does the Time Machine error message say?

See question 25.

Time Machine FAQ

Feb 12, 2016 5:13 PM in response to Eric Root

Sorry for late reply. I was traveling for work.

1. Model MacBookPro 5,3 as above OSX 10.6.8, 4 GB, 2.8 GHz.

I have original Snow Leopard updated only to 10.6.8. and need to upgrade this OS to "something" cheap just to continue using Chrome browser for the short term. Perhaps Lion is all I need? What is still available for purchase?

2. I encrypted my home folder when the option came up when I first set up the machine from factory, not understanding the partition and kept it that way. I never used Time Machine for backing up as a result, but in order for me to upgrade, other posts here recommend using it to backup current system and files on external drive.

When I try to turn on time machine I get the attached screen shot message...

User uploaded file

Not really an error message, right? But implies I can't USE Time Machine. I just need to understand what sequential steps I need to use to turn on Time Machine for external drive back up of my current OS, if I can.

I'm the administrator and only account holder. Otherwise I need a 2nd option.

PS- I CAN wipe this hard drive if necessary for upgrade, or delete my files. I have under 12 GB total files to restore and no purchased apps except Office 2008 that I can upgrade later as a student. Only reason for the backup is if upgrade fails.

Capiche?

<.\/

<'/\

Feb 13, 2016 10:16 AM in response to 2010Kat

Perhaps Lion is all I need? What is still available for purchase?

Lion and Mountain Lion are available for purchase. In my opinion, Mountain Lion is much better than Lion. El Capitan is available for free. Lion is no longer supported by Apple. I would suggest at least trying El Capitan.

Lion

Mountain Lion

I would turn FileVault off and then backup. If you upgrade the OS, a newer version of FileVault is available and it works better with Time Machine. See the link in my last post.

Snow Leopard and Chrome with Time Machine Backup and File Vault

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.