Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Error 53 Iphone 6s

I get an Error 53 on my iPhone 6s and the phone is pretty much bricked and I've lost all my photos and videos. I see for this press release that is is a 'security' measure that happens when someone tried to fix your phoen who is not an Apple rep. No-one has touched my phone, Help what do I do?

http://www.independent.ie/business/technology/apple-says-error-53-will-kill-your -iphone-6-but-its-for-the-best-34432571.…

iPhone 6s, iOS 9.2.1, null

Posted on Feb 8, 2016 6:57 AM

9 replies

Feb 8, 2016 7:27 AM in response to katieNic

No, it's not a security measure that happens when someone other than Apple tried to fix your phone. That error indicates there has been a failure in the Touch ID hardware.

Yes, it will happen to people who have their phones repaired by 3rd parties, who are not capable of properly pairing the touch ID sensor with the logic board, but that doesn't mean that's the only reason it happens.

Make an appointment at the genius bar of your local Apple Store and have it checked out. It's a hardware failure. Your phone is under warranty, it should be replaced at no charge if it hasn't been physically damaged, then you can restore your last backup to the replacement phone.

Feb 8, 2016 9:25 AM in response to katieNic

katieNic wrote:

Apple will not fix as they say there is a scratch on screen - terrible support from them. scratch has nothing to do with the fact they bricked my phone

They won't fix it or they won't fix it for 'free'? Is the scratch cosmetic only, or is the screen actually damaged or cracked? Have you had any service done on the device previously?

Feb 8, 2016 11:11 AM in response to TJBUSMC1973

Won't fix it for free. I haven't seen the scratch on my phone the support team say its there waiting for my phone to be returned to me.

Looking online and all the articles on Error 53 and apple purposely putting software on your phone to brick it is terrible and exactly what happened to me but I didn't go to any 3rd party to fix my phone.

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/feb/08/apple-under-pressure-lawyers-err or-53-codes

This is very bad form from Apple, I expected better and to be treated better by the support teams.

They will do anything to get out of fixing their dodgy software.

Feb 8, 2016 12:36 PM in response to katieNic

Yes. It is an issue with Touch ID. Either a physical problem or defect with the touch ID hardware, or an indication that the touch ID system has been tampered with.

If your device is under warranty, Apple will replace it at no charge. If the device suffered physical damage, which it sounds like it has, that would explain why touch ID isn't working. It's broken. If you've been backing up your phone on a regular basis like it's designed to be used, then you won't lose any data at all. You can restore the backup to the replacement device.

Error 53 Iphone 6s

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.