Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Windows 10 run with boot camp from a external hard drive

Hi,

I have a MBP 13" 2015 i5 8GB of Ram and 128GB of storage, and i want to run windows 10 (for gaming) with boot camp (so if I'm right OS X is off and Windows is on). I have parallels desktop and i can run windows 10 (situated on my ext hard drive) but it is impossible to play with a virtual machine. So, i am wondering if i can boot and run windows 10 from my ext hard drive ? I have only 128GB one my Mac so using windows and OS X on it is impossible. Thanks for your help ! 🙂 (just to be clear : if you solution works, if i unplug my ext hard drive all windows will bug (or something like that)).

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X El Capitan (10.11.1)

Posted on Feb 8, 2016 8:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 8, 2016 11:03 AM

-- Parallels Desktop (PD) is an app that manages a VirtualMachine (VM): it is a large file. PD can run at the same time as the OSX.

-- Bootcamp is a separate partition on your harddrive in which your Windows runs: this can not run concurrently with OSX, you start either in the Windows partition or in the oSX partition; you make this partition and install Windows in it with the BootcampAssistant app. The BootcampAssitant can not make a Bootcamp Partition on an external disk afaik.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 8, 2016 11:03 AM in response to lolofo777

-- Parallels Desktop (PD) is an app that manages a VirtualMachine (VM): it is a large file. PD can run at the same time as the OSX.

-- Bootcamp is a separate partition on your harddrive in which your Windows runs: this can not run concurrently with OSX, you start either in the Windows partition or in the oSX partition; you make this partition and install Windows in it with the BootcampAssistant app. The BootcampAssitant can not make a Bootcamp Partition on an external disk afaik.

Feb 8, 2016 11:04 AM in response to lolofo777

W10 on an external drive requires Windows-to-go licensing under Windows Enterprise. Macs do not support Windows Enterprise.

Please see Use Windows 10 on your Mac with Boot Camp - Apple Support, Boot Camp: Install Windows on your Mac (this is a bit older) and System requirements to install Windows on your Mac using Boot Camp - Apple Support .

An installation disc with the 64-bit version of Windows 7 Home Premium, Windows 7 Professional, Windows 7 Ultimate, Windows 8, or Windows 8 Pro.You must use a single full-install Windows installation disc. You cannot use an upgrade version of Windows.

From Boot Camp 5.1: Frequently asked questions - Apple Support ,

Which versions of Windows work with Boot Camp 5.1?
Boot Camp 5.1 supports 64-bit, non-Enterprise versions of Windows 7, Windows 8.0, and Windows 8.1. This version of Boot Camp doesn't support Windows XP, Windows Vista, or any 32-bit version of Windows. Depending on your Mac, you may be able to use an earlier version of Boot Camp to work with other versions of Windows. For details, see the Boot Camp system requirements for Microsoft Windows.

Feb 8, 2016 9:12 AM in response to lolofo777

If you do not have enough disk space, you either split the internal disk in half, one half per OS, or use an external drive to run OSX, and put the Windows OS on the full internal disk.

OSX can be installed on external USB, Firewire, Thunderbolt disks or SD Cards. 64Gb SD Cards are a wonderful alternative to cables/external SSD/HDD.

2015 Macs will support TB2, or USB3. FW800 is supported using a TB-to-FW adapter.

Feb 8, 2016 9:16 AM in response to Lexiepex

LexSchellings wrote:

I expected that: thanks for jumping in 🙂

No worries. Hopefully OP can get what they want. There are also replacement solutions for the PCIe flash to go up to 256/512Gb.

From MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015) - Technical Specifications,

Storage1

• 2.7GHz - 128GB
    128GB PCIe-based flash storage
  • 2.7GHz - 256GB
    256GB PCIe-based flash storage
  • 2.9GHz
    512GB PCIe-based flash storage
    Configurable to 1TB flash storage.

Feb 8, 2016 11:33 AM in response to Loner T

I talked to apple customer care by the phone today and they were a little bit surprised and almost laughed if I was going to install BootCamp on external hard drive. I said I that on internal only and that was fine, because I think it's impossible to have it on external hard drive just because of security reasons - something can really go wrong if sth is not ok with usb cable.

Feb 8, 2016 12:15 PM in response to Vladis89

Thunderbolt drives will support Windows, or a cloning solution can also be used to move an internal installation to an external disk.

Another approach that I use is to create a minimal C: with Windows OS (only). All my Applications are installed on a external FW800 disk which is X:. X: can move to any other machine which has Windows on it. C: on the internal disk can be re-installed at will if anything gets corrupted.

Windows 10 run with boot camp from a external hard drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.