Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail Won't Launch

Mail crashes on startup. I've searched online for my issue but can't find anything. I have several email accounts feeding into Mail: gmail/imap, GoDaddy POP, and Exchange. Problem started when my Exchange account was deleted from Exchange server then reinstalled on their end. Below is error report. I'm on a MacBook Pro (Mid-2012) running OSX El Capitan Ver. 10.11.3

Any ideas on what to do from here?

Application Specific Information:

*** Terminating app due to uncaught exception 'NSInternalInconsistencyException', reason: 'Root Folder Id changed from [REDACTED FOR BREVITY] to [REDACTED FOR BREVITY]: once an account is created, the root folder id shouldn't change on the server'

abort() called

terminating with uncaught exception of type NSException

Posted on Feb 8, 2016 8:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 8, 2016 2:11 PM

No experience with Exchange, but if you disconnect from the Internet does Mail launch?

8 replies

Feb 8, 2016 2:11 PM in response to ulysses101

Please back up all data.

Open the Internet Accounts pane in System Preferences and make a note of the settings for the Exchange account. There may be separate entries for mail and other services, such as contacts. Then delete the entries. Confirm that you want to delete the data. It will still be on the server.

Recreate the account with the same settings. Test.

Feb 8, 2016 2:16 PM in response to ulysses101

Do a backup, preferably 2 on 2 separate drives.

Quit Mail.

Go to Finder and select your user/home folder. With that Finder window as the front window, either select Finder/View/Show View options or go command - J. When the View options opens, check ’Show Library Folder’. That should make your user library folder visible in your user/home folder. Go to Library/Containers/com.apple.mail. Move the folder com.apple.mail to your desktop. You must move the entire folder, not just the contents.

Restart, re-launch Mail and test. If the problem is solved, recreate any required Mail settings and import any emails you want to save from the folder on the desktop. You can then put the folder in the Trash. If the problem remains, return the folder to where you got it replacing the one that is there.

If that doesn’t solve it repeat the above using Containers/com.apple.MailServiceAgent.

Information learned from Linc Davis. Thanks to leonie for some information contained in this.

Crashes/quits unexpectedly

Feb 8, 2016 2:19 PM in response to BDAqua

Thank you BDAqua! Sure enough, I was able to launch Mail when I went offline. I'm not very knowledgeable, so I kind of brute forced my way through - maybe what I did will make sense to you and Linc Davis:

After launching offline, I did what Linc Davis suggested and went to Internet Preferences and the only other service that was checked box for the Exchange account was Notes. I deselected it. I then reentered the same PW for the account, in both the Preferences area of the Mail program and the Internet Accounts, just in case. Then I turned on the wifi and the Mail program immediately crashed and shutdown. Then I opened the Internet Preferences again and reentered the PW, just in case. Then I launched Mail and it opened! But, all my email accountes synced except for the Exchange account which still didn't connect (showed that ~ sign). So, I went back into Mail Preferences and reentered the PW another time and it worked!!! Like I said, it was more brute force on my end but wouldn't have solved it without yours and Linc Davis help. Thank you so much!

Mail Won't Launch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.