Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I spilled Kool-Aid on my iPhone 4

Okay so I was drinking some Kool-Aid reading some emails and fumbled my cup and spilled it onto my phone. I have it in (brown) rice but I (probably) did it too late (I put it in half an hour after it happened). I've had this phone for around 3 years (haven't been able to get the time or transportation (at the same time) to go and upgrade it) and I'm not entirely sure what to do. I only spilled a little bit on it but the glass around my camera has broken off and that's where the Kool-Aid spilled on (as well as the power button and headphone jack). Any ideas?

iPhone 4, iOS 7.1.2

Posted on Feb 8, 2016 8:13 AM

2 replies

Feb 8, 2016 11:01 AM in response to sawarineko

I'm sorry to hear you've gotten your phone wet - that's awful! One thing to keep in mind when this happens is that the "rice trick" is a myth. All it does is give the liquid time to evaporate at the normal rate and leave behind tons of deposits (in this case, kool-aid) which will ruin the components on the logic board. If the device is disassembled and the logic board cleaned with 99% alcohol immediately after the initial liquid contact, it can almost always be saved.

Apple does not have an out of warranty replacement option for the iPhone 4, so there is not much they will be able to do for you besides sell you a new device. If data is important, you can send it to someone who specializes in data recovery for liquid damaged devices. If you just want a working phone and you want to stay with the iPhone 4, then your only other option would be to buy a used one. A lot of 3rd party repair shops have them for sale for cheap if you don't want to take a risk using eBay or Craigslist.

I spilled Kool-Aid on my iPhone 4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.